CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN

As they ran toward the main camp, passing burnt cabins, shops and training rings, Primrose watched the sky with each flap of Illyrian wings. Any of them could be Orion, but none of them were. Cassian had flown off minutes ago, likely helping others nearby or searching for those in need of assistance. If Nesta was worried about her mate, she didn't show it. Prim did not regret her decision in leaving Orion's side, she was happy her father was now safe. But still, the silence radiating against their bond was deafening.

"There!" Nesta pointed, Feyre and Rhysand visible in the distance. They were stood up against a half-burnt cabin, the side still stood allowing them privacy and protection. Rhysand's wings were out, a piece of armour burnt away on his shoulder as he stood at his mate's side, her wrist in his hand.

"Nes," exclaimed the High Lady, grinning at the sight of her sister. Rhys dropped his hand to slip around Feyre's waist, Nesta's attention going to the pair.

"Are you both okay?" she asked, worry clear in the line of her brows. Primrose took a moment to catch her breath as they spoke, her heart thundering within her chest. She missed the snow already, missed its familiar coldness. It was easier to breathe here, the smoke had cleared up in this space, clinging to the trees in the outer clearings. Prim turned back to see Feyre looking at her, the redhead offering her mother-in-law a smile as she settled beside Nesta.

"Do you know where Cassian and Lyra are?" Nesta asked, mainly directed toward Rhysand who ran a large palm through his midnight blue hair.

He nodded, exhaustion clear in the slump of his shoulders. "Last I heard they were with Scarlet, tracking down Beron. He's here somewhere, I can sense the bastard."

Feyre looked to Prim, reaching out to cup her cheek. "You look exhausted, dear. Where's Orion? Is he not with you?"

The others turned to her, suddenly more aware of the lack of her mate. Prim shook her head, "We split up a while ago, I haven't heard from him since."

Rhys squeezed Feyre's waist, pressing a kiss to her temple, "Well, I'm sure he's fine."

She nodded, pulling away from the small group and stepping out into the darkness. There was still no sign of the sun, the night in full force. She could still smell the smoke, still feel the heat of the flames and hear the crackle of fire. She watched figures move around in the distance, heard the small booms and cries of fighting within the clearings. Tears rimmed her eyes, lips wobbling as she tried to hold herself together.

Baby? 

She sent a single word down the bond. It didn't hit the walls of Orion's mind as she had expected, but her words still soared down an endless tunnel. She looked to the sky, once again hoping to see him.

Orion, please. I know you're mad at me right now, but I need to know if you're safe.

A few seconds passed and she couldn't even breathe with the anticipation. Her knees almost buckled completely when his voice came to her at last.

I'm safe. And I can see you.

Blinking, Prim looked around confusingly. It wasn't until she turned back that she realised what she thought was a star was, in fact, not a star. Instead, it was an Illyrian warrior, wings spread and carrying something in their arms. Orion. Her Orion. And the something in his arms was a woman, her red hair like the flames that had burned around them. But not any woman, a lady. The lady of the Autumn Court.

Prim felt, rather than saw, as Nesta, Feyre and Rhys moved to stand beside her, watching Orion descend from the sky like a meteor. As he landed, setting the lady down beside him, he met her eyes, only for a second. A second was all she needed.

"Why," Feyre started, wiping at her brow, "my lovely but incredibly confusing son, have you brought Lady Autumn here?"

Rhys chuckled, settling a hand over his ribs as his laugh died. A gentle smile curled on Lady Autumn's lips, her eyes glued to the ground as she stood in a beautiful russet dress. Orion rolled his eyes, "Because, mother, I think we may have a way of getting to Beron."

"By using his ex-wife?" Nesta asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

Orion shook his head, strands of hair sticking to his brow, "Not exactly. Using two people who brought down his world entirely, but he still once loved. Where is Lucien?"

Prim took the opportunity to speak, her stomach tightening as Orion looked to her again. "With my father somewhere. He wanted to find somewhere safe so they could rest."

"I'm sure we can find them. It's worth a shot," Feyre smiled, stepping forward to press a kiss to Orion's forehead. "Proud of you, baby boy."

An intense blush rose on Orion's cheeks, his eyes widening slightly. "Thanks, Mom," he whispered, pressing a kiss to her temple in return. 

The group turned, walking back in the direction Nesta and Primrose had came. The Lady of Autumn walked beside Feyre and Rhysand, Nesta leading the way and Primrose trailing behind with Orion. Their hands brushed as they walked, and Prim wanted more than ever to talk to him, to explain herself, even though she didn't really need to. She could have done it, could have spoke down the bond so the others couldn't hear. Instead, she just took hold of his hand, squeezing his palm and hating when he didn't squeeze back.