CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN

Despite her boots, the grass was still soft beneath her feet. Orion hadn't taken them to Rosehall Manor as she expected, instead they were in the town. As the Lady of the Court, content in the hills, Primrose hadn't often ventured into the village, but now she wished she had. A long cobble street stood before them, houses and stores on either side and a forest surrounding it all. 

Prim stared in wonder as Orion stepped forward, offering a smile, "Well, my High Lady, shall we have an adventure?"

She chuckled, shaking her head at him before something dawned upon her. They had never spoken about it, she had just assumed he'd stand by her side as an equal. "High Lord?" she whispered, lifting her eyebrows, "Can I call you my High Lord of Spring?"

He moved forward, face inches from hers, "You can always call me yours. But in this case, yes, I will gladly be your High Lord."

Her grin ached her jaw, "then yes, let's adventure."

His palm squeezed hers as he pulled her forward, boots pressing against the cobbles. She could see it now, market stalls filling the cobbles, people weaving through, children running and giggling as their parents tried to shop. It was a wasteland right now, but she'd change that, she'd give the Spring Court the reputation it deserved—even if it killed her in the process. Faelights glowed in houses, though she couldn't see the shadow of people, couldn't hear the sound of chatter through the walls. The scent of food drifted through open windows, making her stomach growl as they walked. There was a second-hand bookstore, one that was clearly dusty and wasn't visited often. She could change that, at least.

"It's gonna take time," Orion smiled, pressing a kiss to her temple as they walked, "Things aren't going to change overnight."

"I know," she sighed, wishing things could be different but knowing that reality couldn't be what she wanted. As they continued up the street, they passed a florist, blooming with flowers that reminded her of her childhood, in the garden with Malida. Malida would love this, seeing Primrose in power, seeing her reach her full potential.

What is it? Orion's voice was comforting against the walls of her mind.

She shook her head, Nothing, just thinking about when I was younger.

There was no pity in his gaze, just understanding. As they reached the end of the village, a cottage loomed over them, large and vacant. It reminded her of the townhouse, so beautiful and brilliant. There was a small garden in front, full of flowers and bushes surrounded by a brick wall. Unlatching the wooden gate, Orion pulled her toward the cottage. 

Prim stopped, blinking at her mate, "What are you doing?"

Orion smiled, "I spoke with Lucien before he left. When he lived here, there was one place he would go, often to get away from the Court and take a few days for himself. Now that he's the High Lord of Autumn, he won't be needing it anymore."

"This cottage? He's giving us this cottage?" Disbelief flooded her system, the house before her was too beautiful, she couldn't even imagine living in it. Orion moved to her side, kissing along her jaw as she looked up at the cottage. She wrapped an arm around his waist, leaning into his side.

"It's ours, dearest," he whispered, "The first place that is ours and ours only."

She didn't care that they'd move eventually, that they'd restore Rosehall Manor over the next few months and one day move there indefinitely. For now, this was theirs, the first place for just the two of them. Keeping an arm around him, Prim allowed Orion to lead her forward, moving toward the door at the end of the garden path. The door creaked when Orion twisted the handle, pushing it open to reveal the hallway, no doubt leading to a sitting room and kitchen. He pushed the door wide, looking to his wife and smiling, "You first, High Lady."

She pulled away from his side, shooting him a smile before she stepped through the door, hearing the sound of her footsteps echo in the empty space. Home. With Orion, this cottage, and the court around her, she was finally home.