CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

The next morning, everyone was squeezed into the River Estate's living room, sitting and waiting for the arrival of any news. Azriel had left earlier than usual that morning, visiting the Dawn Court to make sure no advances had yet been made. Prim had slept rather well the night before, despite sharing a bed with two others and waking up with Nova draped completely over her middle. Nova was now sat in her father's lap, her head rested against his chest as she spoke to her Aunt Elain. It was clear that Elain was desperate to have Azriel back by her side, every few seconds she would check the door to see if he was coming back yet. Both of her hands were rested on her swollen stomach and Prim couldn't even imagine how hard it must be for her right now.

Prim was sat in the armchair, Orion sitting on the arm beside her with his hand around the back of it. They hadn't really spoken much since last night but the few conversations they had had were short and sweet. It was like every corner she turned he was there, or everyone seat she sat in he took up the one beside her. It was a nice comfort that she didn't really know she needed.

The door to the living room swung open and Azriel slipped in, thankfully still in one piece. Everyone watched him as he crossed the room to take a seat beside his wife, kissing Elain's cheek and resting a hand on her stomach before turning to the others who were patiently waiting. "Nothing," Azriel sighed, leaning back against the couch, "There have been no updates. No movement from the seasonal courts and Thesan is very content with everything. He thanks you again, Rhys, for sending a troop down there."

"It was the least we could do," Rhys smiled, seemingly also disappointed that there was no news. He had a whole family to protect, a whole court. Prim sympathized him and the heavyweight on his shoulders.

Nesta spoke up then, Cassian's wing curling around her back as she lent forward, "It's suspicious, right?"

"I think so too," said Orion, "It's good that they haven't attacked. But, what are they waiting for?"

War tactics and battle strategy was not something Primrose was educated in, but even she could tell something was off. "An opening," she muttered, though it was loud enough for everyone to hear, "That's what they're waiting for; an opening. Whatever that may be."

Everyone nodded, murmuring quietly to one another. Prim felt a coldness sweep over her and leaned into Orion's side, him nonchalantly wrapping his arm around her shoulders. His thumb rubbed gently on her upper arm, Prim shifted slightly to move closer to him and rested a hand on his leg, feeling the warmth of his thigh upon her palm.

The momentary silence was broken with a gentle and soft voice, everyone turning to the youngest speaker in the room. "Why can't they just all be friends?" Nova asked, so sincerely that it made Prim's heart break.

Rhys took his daughter's hand in his, kissing the top of her head, "I wish it could be that simple, sweetheart."

"Not everyone is as smart as you, baby." Said Feyre, squeezing her daughter's cheeks and offering her a smile. Nova giggled, pushing away Feyre's hand playfully and hiding her face against her father's chest. Everyone smiled at the sweet interaction, smiled at something sweet within the sourness they had been experiencing as of late.

It was Cassian who spoke next, his voice thick with annoyance, "So what now? We can't just wait around."

"What if I went down to the Dawn Court, I can stay with Apollo and the other Illyrians. I can send often updates and keep an eye on things." Orion suggested, ignoring his father who was already shaking his head.

"I can go too," Prim added quickly, "I mean- I will go with him. It's a good idea, whether you like it or not."

"I need you here," demanded Rhys, though his eyes were focused on his son rather than Prim.

"No," Orion chuckled, "You want me here, there's a difference. I'm an adult now, I can do what I like and you cannot stop me. We're going to the Dawn Court."

Just as Rhys was about to protest, someone walked into the room. Their bright red hair hung long around their scarred face, their body decorated in simple brown armour and a small smirk lining their lips. Primrose had never seen this person before, but she knew just by how he looked that it was none other than Lucien Vanserra. He scanned the room, noting how Azriel had stood and was now in front of Elain, Rhys had also pulled an arm around Nova's middle to keep her close to him and Nesta just scowled, a truly terrifying sight.

"What?" He said, raising his hands, "No hello?"

"Hello, Lucien," smiled Feyre, "I suppose Tamlin found you then?"

Lucien chuckled, moving to lean against the doorway, "He did. He's always good at finding things that don't want to be found."

Primrose wanted to ask Lucien how her father was. Wanted to know if he had spoken of her on his arrival or simply kept to the need to know. Wanted to know where he was now, if he had stayed back with Vassa or gone elsewhere. No matter how he had treated her, Prim would always look out for him, always want to know his whereabouts and wellbeing. She supposed it was a part of being someone's daughter. A part of her that had been so strong for the last eighteen years. With her teeth digging into the skin of her bottom lip, Prim stopped herself from asking a question so selfish when other questions were far more important.

"Why did you come back?" asked Rhys, watching Lucien coolly.

The amusement that Lucien had been carrying around like an accessory dropped. "Because this war practically has my name on it." He said, seriousness taking over him completely, "I want to help."

"There's really nothing you can do that we haven't already," sighed Rhys, exhaustion clear in him. Prim wondered how much sleep he had gotten recently.

"Why doesn't Lucien come with me and Orion to the Dawn Court?" Prim suggested, "That way you won't have to worry about us if we have Lucien."

Lucien turned to face Prim, looking over her with a quick glance, "I like her, let's do that."

Rhys sighed looking to Feyre who nodded gently, "Very well, one mess up and you're out. I can't afford to put my family on the line in order to look out for you."

The room went tense but it was agreed - Lucien was staying, for now at least, and he would be accompanying both Prim and Orion in their mission. Prim had grown utterly tired of this back and forth, she was beyond glad that they were finally getting somewhere. Orion squeezed Prim's shoulder and she looked at him with a smile. They were finally getting somewhere.