CHAPTER TWENTY

Helion and Thesan left shortly after Tamlin, Prim hadn't gone back to the meeting and Orion had taken her home. She remembered falling asleep beside the fire, leaning her head onto his shoulder. They had become closer over the last few days. He had somehow become the hand that she could hold and the shoulder she could cry on. She much prefered this to how they had been in the earlier days. The next morning, Prim woke up alone under the warmth of her duvet covers. Part of her wanted to lay in bed forever, but she knew that if she allowed herself to sleep in a little longer then she wouldn't end up getting up at all.  

The sun was shining in through the windows as she pulled on a simple navy blue longsleeved dress with a pair of stockings on beneath. Her wardrobe had become accustomed to Night Court colours quicker than she realised. She quite liked the way blues and purples looked on her. Braiding back her hair, Prim quickly brushed her teeth and slipped on a pair of slippers before wandering downstairs. Orion was within the sitting room, his back to her as she entered. Primrose realised immediately that he was dressed in boots, a coat, a scarf and she was pretty sure she could see glove-covered hands within his pocks.

"Orion?" She asked, watching as he turned to face her with a smile, "What are you doing?"

"We. What are we doing?" He corrected, moving toward Prim and passing her a bag. Inside the bag, Prim saw what appeared to be thick leather boots, a scarf, hat and pair of gloves.

"I'm confused, are we going somewhere?" She asked, noting how it was definitely not cold enough within Velaris for all these knitted clothes.

"Indeed, consider it a break. Though it's not really. We're going to the Illyrian Camps to visit my cousins." He smiled, as if it was the greatest idea he had ever come up with.

She smiled, liking the idea of some time away. Moving to the sofa, Prim sat and removed her slippers, pulling on her new boots instead. She arranged the warm scarf around her neck and pulled the hat up over her hair before slipping the gloves on. "I'm ready," she grinned, standing up and putting her hands upon her hips.

Orion chuckled and Prim followed him out into the foyer where he passed her a coat. Prim slipped it on over her dress, wondering how cold it would be at the camps. She hoped there'd be snow. When Prim looked to Orion, he had his hand outstretched to her. The act of winnowing together had become so normal, so natural. She welcomed the warmth of him as their palms slid together.

When they landed, Prim was grateful for the small warmth of Orion's body beside her. The camp was covered in snow, thick and fluffy and extremely white. The surrounding area was filled with winged warriors, some training upon stone-carved platforms, others leaving the cabins along the edges of the camp and some simply throwing snowballs at one another. Each person she saw was dressed in heavy leather armour, no doubt to keep them both protected and warm. If she squinted, Prim could see more cabins and even shops at the other end of the camp. It wasn't snowing but the sharp mountain breeze blew against her exposed cheeks, sending a shiver down her spine.

Orion squeezed Prim's hand before letting go and gesturing to the camp before him, "Welcome to Windhaven."

Prim found herself grinning as Orion hooked his arm with hers and pulled her into the midst of the camp. Their feet left tracks in the thick snow as they moved through the camp. Prim wasn't sure if Orion knew where he was going but he seemed rather confident as he led her forward. A few Illyrian males smiled at Prim as she walked, her blushing deeply and blaming it on the coldness of the air. 

Orion turned down toward the shops and his lips pulled up into a grin. "Scarlet!" He called, dragging Prim faster across the snow and towards a storefront.

A girl, her hair as black as night, turned to face them. She had glorious wings that spread out behind her as she smiled at Orion, moving toward him and Primrose. It took a few seconds for Prim to figure out why her name, or perhaps her nickname, was Scarlet. Despite being ever-so beautiful, a thick and ragged red scar cut through Scarlet's cheek. Covering the left side of her face from her temple down to her chin.