CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT

There was a shop, a small one, more of an essentials hut buried at the back of the camps, closer to the mountain than the forest. It had survived the firing line, the snow melting around it but the wooden shack still standing strong. Lady Autumn rushed in first, the band of faes moving in behind her, entering the crowded space. Lucien and Tamlin were there, Tamlin sat upon the counter, Lucien lingering beside him with his arms now around his mother. The smaller lady held him tightly, cupping his cheeks as she pressed a kiss to his forehead. Orion moved to his parents' side, advancing toward Lucien and his mother. Nesta was browsing the small store, opening a bottle of water and sipping it idly, keeping herself busy. Stood near the doorway, Primrose looked to her father, his golden chest on show from his lack of shirt, a bandage covering the majority of it and his hair tied back into a bun. After a few seconds of trailing each face, his eyes fell upon her.

Orion's voice as he explained his plan to Lucien was a gentle buzz in her ears as she crossed the store. Tamlin was weary, his eyes sad and exhausted but a smile pulling on his lips as his daughter advanced. It wasn't until she reached up, arms wrapping around his shoulders that they both allowed grins to stretch against their cheeks. His hands were large and comforting on her back as she stood between his legs, the counter giving him more height as Prim stood up on her tiptoes.

"I'm so sorry," Tamlin cried, holding his daughter tightly. "I love you so much, baby girl."

Primrose chuckled, pulling away and letting tears roll down her cheeks. He was here, in front of her, and he was okay, alive. "I'm sorry too. I'm so glad you're okay, Daddy. I love you, I don't know what I'd do without you."

He reached up, wiping her tears away with his callused thumb and pressing a kiss to each of her cheeks. "I'm not going anywhere ever again. I'll never leave you, Primrose," he promised, his words sincere.

Nodding, she gave a long sigh, shaking her head to clear her thoughts. "Are you okay?" she asked, eyes zoning into the bandages over the middle of his body Lucien must have applied.

He bobbed his head, "Fine. Lucien took good care of me. It's nothing I can't recover from."

She wanted to know more. Wanted to know how long ago he had woken up, how much water he'd drunken, if he'd applied the correct salve to his burns. She was fussy, and rightly so. He had jumped in the way of her mate, had been willing to die in his place if the blast had been worse. That had to mean something, but she wouldn't push it. She was about to thank him for saving Orion when the shop door swung open, a bell echoing throughout the crowded space.

It was Scarlet, her broad wings only just squeezing through the door. "We found Beron," she announced. "Cassian and Lyra are keeping him in check. Follow me?"

The Archeron family turned to Lucien, question clear on their raised brows. It only took a moment for him to nod, following after Scarlet and everyone falling into place, trailing after him. Primrose turned to her father with a smile, "Stay here. I've got to go, I'll check in on you soon, okay?"

As she was about to turn, Tamlin grabbed her hand, a non-threatening grip on her fingers. What he said next was not at all what she was expecting. "Lucien said I would be dead if it wasn't for you."

She blinked, squeezing her father's hand and nodding slowly. "You hurt me, hurt me very deeply when you left, when you said those things about me and Orion. But you're my father, I wouldn't wish you dead - not ever. I forgive you, Daddy. I do. But I have to go."

She pulled her hand away, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear before turning away. She had made it halfway across the shop before Tamlin called out, causing her to stop. "Come home, Prim," he whispered, his voice soft. "After all of this, bring Orion if you must. Just come home."

She turned, looking over her shoulder, "We'll see. See you soon, Daddy."

Her footsteps echoed through the silent store, the bell ringing behind her as she disappeared into the night. The sun was still yet to rise, darkness completely engulfing the mountains. One person was standing with their back to her, they turned as she closed the door behind her. Orion.

"You waited," she breathed, moving toward him.

He had a stern look on his face, familiar to when she first met him. But as she reached his side, that expression cracked. He gave her a gentle smile, the smallest curve of his lips as he lifted her into his arms. His hands were warm around her back and under her knees. "I'll always wait for you," he whispered, his voice carrying on the breeze.

She leaned into his warmth as they flew, following a speck in the sky that was the others. Her and Orion landed last, falling into place beside Feyre and Rhysand. Nesta was with Lucien and Lady Autumn, Scarlet moving to join where Lyra stood watching Beron. Cassian had a devilish smirk on his lips as he flexed his hands, siphons shining brightly.

"To what do I owe this... displeasure?" chuckled Beron, looking at the array of people before him.

Taking her son's hand, Lady Autumn stepped forward, walking a few feet before stopping midway. Beron could hardly cast his eyes on her, on the boy he had once called 'son'. "Stop this, Beron," Lady Autumn demanded. "Tell your soldiers to stand down."

Fury burned on Beron's face. "I do not answer to you, whore."

Lucien stepped forward, moving in front of his mother with a sneer. Primrose felt the tension rise, everyone watching intently as Lucien faced the High Lord. "Then answer to me. Stand down, or I'll make you."

Beron let out a wicked laugh, eyes drifted over each person. Primrose couldn't help but shrink against the look he gave her. She had taken his favourite son from him. He would not forget that. He slowly turned back to Lucien, looking the redhead up and down. "Pathetic boy," he spat, eyes narrowed.

Unaffected by the High Lord's harsh words, Lucien turned to his mother, whispering into her ear. Primrose couldn't quite detect what he was saying, his words quick and almost silent. Whatever he had said had Lady Autumn pressing a kiss to his cheeks, squeezing his hand and walking away from him with sad eyes. She stopped beside Nesta once more, everyone turning to Lucien who stood alone.

"Then you leave me no choice," Lucien said, voice echoing across the space. "I challenge you to a fight to the death. If I win, I become the new High Lord of the Autumn Court. If you win then you are welcome to continue in your efforts to destroy this court."

Feyre's intake of breath was like a ghostly scream. Primrose could only hold tight to Orion's hand as silence thrummed around them. Tears glossed in Lady Autumn's eyes as she looked at her son. Lucien may be part Autumn part Day, he may have spent year after year at the Spring Court, but his loyalties were with the Night Court. A court that had taken him in after everything, a court that he was willing to sacrifice himself for.