CHAPTER FIVE

The rain pattered down against her bedroom window, a fire burned in her chimney and her room was wrapped in autumny warmth. Primrose was sat upon her bed, reading beneath the covers and losing herself in another romance novel. The house was utterly quiet, as far as Prim knew, Orion was in the study and he hadn't bothered her all day. Prim shivered beneath her blankets as the wind whipped outside, paired with a grumble of thunder. Prim hardly experienced thunder back in the Spring Court, it was an oddly soothing sound.

The warmth from the fire and the sound of the storm outside made Primrose tired, her eyes fluttering shut as she tried to focus on the words before her. She had read this book twice before, though she could never grow tired of it. She was in the middle of a chapter when a knock sounded on her door, Prim looking up to find none other than Orion. He was dressed in a coat and scarf, boots on his feet and his hands shoved into his coat's pockets. "Hello," he said simply, leaning against her doorframe.

Prim kept her eyes on her book, "I'm reading, give me a moment if you needed something."

Orion shook his head, his unstyled hair caressing his cheek, "I don't I just... You haven't unpacked yet.

Orion had stepped further into the room, looking at the mess of clothes and boxes upon the floor. Prim bookmarked her page and set the book down, looking up to Orion who was still staring at her floor. "Thank you for pointing that out for me," She replied sarcastically.

A smirk crossed Orion's lips as he looked back up at Prim, "You're fiery, I kinda like that."

Prim sighed, she was far too tired to deal with him right now. She ran a hand through her hair, pressing her lips together, "Please leave me alone."

Orion's smirk dropped, something flashing in his eyes as he moved back to the door, "Well, I'm going out, just thought I'd tell you."

A frown formed on Prim's brows, "Out? But what about the storm?"

Orion's smirk curled on his lips once more, "This is hardly even a storm, Primrose... You're not used to this kind of weather are you?"

She was beneath her duvet, wrapped in blankets and had a woollen jumper on. The fire was blazing in the fireplace and she had not one but two mugs of hot chocolate on her bedside table. Was it not already obvious?

"No..." Prim blushed, "No, I'm not."

A chuckle slipped from Orion's lips and Prim wanted nothing more than to throw her pillow at him. He was about to leave when he turned back, looking at her over his shoulder, "Stay warm, dearest."

A pillow was flying across the room in a matter of seconds, Orion already having disappeared into thin air. "Stop calling me that!" she yelled, knowing he would not hear it but letting her voice echo anyway. He would be the death of her, the destruction of her happiness and will to live.

Letting her book thud to the floor as she pulled back the covers, Prim stood from the bed, kneeling upon the floor. The warmth from the fire kissed her face as she sat before it, pulling the closest box onto her lap and going through it. It was full of books. Prim took a quick look behind her and saw the three-shelved bookcase that stood in the corner of the room.

Lifting her box up onto her hip, Prim hauled it across the room, beginning to arrange the novels within the shelves. She pulled a few trinkets out of the next box; candles, ornaments, a jewellery box. Before she knew it, all the boxes had been opened and items were spread out upon the floors and bed. She had moved to the wardrobe, beginning to hang her clothes and fold them orderly upon the shelves and within the drawers. She grabbed her toiletries and headed to her ensuite bathroom. She filled the cabinet with her needed supplies, setting out her toothbrush and paste, her soaps and oils. Upon returning to her bedroom, she grabbed her bag of makeup and hair accessories, setting them out on her vanity.

As she finished organising the last few items, Prim turned to the final box. Carefully opening it, Prim looked inside to see the book and dagger her father had given her only days ago. Prim carefully lifted the dagger within its box, setting it inside the draw of her bedside table. She reached for the book next, grabbing the pencil that she had set in the box beside it. Prim slowly opened it, her heart hurting a little as she saw the first page was blank. Taking the pencil between her fingers, Prim set it down onto the paper, her wrist moving with each word she wrote. She had debated for so long what she would write before settling on what seemed obvious.

"I miss you, I hope you're looking after yourself."

A thud sounded and Prim jumped, dropping the book and turning over her shoulder to see Orion in her doorway. He looked down amusingly at the pillow still within the hallway before looking up at her with a smile, "I'm back if you couldn't tell."

Prim just stared at Orion, his cheeks bright red and his hair soaked. He reminded her of a young boy who had been desperate to play outside despite the rain. She just nodded, "That was rather quick, I expected you to be gone until this evening."

He was smirking, though it quickly fell to be replaced by a slight frown, "Quick? Primrose, I've been gone for two hours."

She looked at him, almost expecting him to laugh at how he had fooled her. But there came no laugh. Prim sat there on the bed, not quite feeling normal. She had really spent two hours sorting out her room, she supposed it made sense. She just hadn't realised.

"Oh, I didn't even notice..." she muttered, biting down on her lip. The fire had even died and she hadn't noticed that either.

Orion picked up the pillow and chucked it onto the bed, looking around Prim's room as he did so, "I can see you spent your time wisely."

Prim scoffed, turning her back to him, "Whatever, you should go back to whatever it was you were doing before you left."

"You really can't stand me can you?" Orion whispered, his voice barely audible over the rain and wind outside.

Prim's mind flooded with thoughts but there was not a single one she could latch onto. Her brain was like the storm outside. She couldn't calm it, especially with Orion only feet away.

She did not turn to face him as she replied, "No, I really can't."

The silence that followed was almost deafening. Prim listened as Orion walked away without another word, the sound of the creaking floorboards beneath his feet was the only indication that he had left at all. Ignoring how her stomach twisted uncomfortably, Prim reached to the floor and swiped up her book. She flipped it open and smiled at the new words formed there.

"I miss you too, stay strong, my sweet flower."

Even the loving words from her father could not warm the coldness that seeped in the pit of her soul.