CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

A day of drama had quickly become a day of distraction. They had been waiting for Cassian and Nesta to return, but as the morning passed to noon, and noon passed to evening; it was very clear they weren't returning as soon as they had hoped. Primrose had kept busy by visiting the members of the other courts, handing them supplies and thanking them once more for joining. That, and avoiding her father. She had no clue where he went, but he was sure to be within the camp somewhere, and she didn't fancy bumping into him anytime soon.

It wasn't long before she was back in bed with Orion at her side, at the house this time, instead of the cabin. Elain, Azriel, Leo and Nova had left at noon, winnowing safely to the mountain top cabin. She would miss them, but she wanted them to be safe, especially with the state that Azriel was still in. Luckily, she still had Orion. His chest was against her back as they cuddled, even in sleep, his head against hers and their hands intertwined against her stomach. Despite the snow that fell outside, they were warmed by one another's skin, the duvet pulled up around them as they slept.

Even in the depths of sleep, Primrose could still feel the explosion that shook the ground around her. She awoke in an instant, coughing on the smoke that blew in through the windows. Orion was sat up at her side, looking around with a frown and climbing out of bed, pulling on some undershorts as he threw the curtains open. Prim held tight to the duvet as she took in the flames encasing the forest before her. Every tree was on fire, the snow melting into puddles effortlessly.

Knocks rapping on their door had Prim getting up to pull her own underclothes on as Rhys's voice sounded through the wood, "It's the Autumn Court!"

"Got it, Dad!" Orion yelled in return, pulling on his Illyrian leathers as Prim struggled into her own. She wasn't used to the tightness of the gear, squeezing her breasts past the top and suffocating her stomach as she did up the jacket. She pushed her feet into the too-big boots, lacing them up quickly before following Orion downstairs, his wings creating a gentle wind that kissed her face. As he pulled open the front door, the warmth hit her like a tidal wave.

Orion gripped her hand, his palm already sweaty, "Stay beside me, I'm not losing you."

Prim nodded, squeezing his hand. I love you, she sent down the bond, caressing his mind how she wished to caress his face. Orion sent those feelings right back, warming her very soul with his love as their physical bodies set off into a run, I love you too.

She could hardly see anything apart from Orion and the flames. It was boiling, melting her skin with each step they took. Orion, with the power of all courts that had passed down from his mother, summoned the water manipulation inside him. His hands acted as arrows, a wave of his palm in a certain direction had water dowsing the flames that lit the trees. The trees; the forest line that was currently housing hundreds of tents.

As if having the same thought, Orion nodded and that was all it took for Prim to take off in a sprint, her mate behind her trying to drown out the heat. She ran aimlessly, seeing nothing but red as she weaved through the thick trunks, trying not to trip on logs and sticks that blocked her path. She soon reached a small clearing, most of the tents were empty as soldiers tried to control the fire. Prim rushed forward, helping those who had not gotten out the tents yet, Orion trailing her every step. When she crossed the clearing, she looked for someone she recognised:  Thesan, Helion, or even Lucien. 

Prim turned to Orion, "I need to find my dad!"

Confusion flashed on his face, only briefly, before he nodded, following after her as she moved through the trees. The next clearing was just up ahead and she could already hear the grunts of soldiers. The flap of Orion's wings behind her was an oddly comforting sound. People were running past her, trying to escape to the main camp no doubt, away from the fire drowning the forest. Prim could barely feel the heat anymore, it had become like a second skin. This clearing was bigger than the last, more tents and more people. Luckily, Prim noticed Helion immediately, helping two of his soldiers out of a blazing tent.