CHAPTER EIGHT

"I'm visiting today, see you soon."

Prim wrote her message to her father, watching the ink sink into the page before shoving the notebook back into her bedside table. She had dressed quickly that morning, pulling on a pair of black trousers and a pastel pink blouse. Her hair was pulled back in a bun, a light smearing of makeup upon her skin. As she made her way downstairs, she took to the lounge, finding Orion sat with his morning coffee, reading the latest newspaper.

"I want to visit my father." She announced, crossing her arms over her chest as she stopped before him. Her chin was held high, Primrose looking down her nose at Orion.

Orion sipped at his coffee, setting his newspaper down with a sigh and looking up to Prim. Grey bags curled beneath his eyes, his hands shaking no doubt from the about of caffeine he had ingested. "You haven't even been here a week," he stated, watching Primrose as if she was a deer, ready to run.

She would not be his fragile lady. "I know." she shrugged, raising her eyebrows in anticipation.

He could not keep her here, could not keep her trapped. She may be his wife but she was still her own person. He would not control her.

Orion's eyes were locked with Prim's, that dark sapphire meeting her icy blue mixed with shards of emerald, "Okay."

Okay.

Okay.

Okay.

Her hands dropped from her chest, "Okay?"

Orion stood, brushing past Prim to refill his coffee in the kitchen. She hated that she followed him like a lost puppy. "Yes," he nodded, "Go, just be back at six. We shall go for dinner."

Prim felt her eyes widen, her mouth dropping open slightly, "D-Dinner?"

Huffing, Orion turned to Prim, "Yes, Primrose. Now are you going to keep repeating what I say or are you going to see your father?"

She did not need to be told twice. With one last look at him, Prim winnowed. Darkness broke into the unmistakable brightness of her home. The Spring Court. The grass was somehow greener than she imagined, Rosehall seemingly grander as it stood before her. The warm sun on Prim's skin was utterly intoxicating. She moved toward the front steps of the manor, listening to the gentle call of the wind as it welcomed her. Prim hardly had time to open the front door as Tamlin came rushing out, swiping his daughter up in a suffocating hug.

"My baby," he cried, his arms wrapped securely around her waist, "It does not feel like home anymore without you here,"

Prim was smiling so widely, pulling away to see those emerald eyes and golden hair that she remembered so vividly. His cheeks were wet as he smiled back, cupping her face in his hand. "I missed you so much. I know it has only been a few days but you have been there for me my entire life, Daddy," she explained, feeling the need to explain her neediness, her clinginess.

Tamlin shook his head, "Time does not matter. I'm glad you're here, flower. Come, ride with me around the grounds."

They walked to the stables, losing themselves in conversation so natural to two people who truly felt comfortable with one another. Her father was her best friend. Mounting their horses, Primrose stroked her stallion as they took off on a light trot. As they spoke, enjoying the view of green fields and forests, they avoided any talk of the night court. But Prim had something she wanted to ask. Something that had been tugging on her since Elain and Loysa had spoken to her so truthfully.

"Daddy?" Primrose started, not looking at her father but looking ahead instead, "You loved Feyre, didn't you?"

Silence filled the space between them and Prim turned to find her father looking at her. His face was a mass of confusion, sadness mainly but also shock and unexpectance. He opened his mouth slowly, his voice barely more than a whisper, "Yes, though I did not treat her correctly. She deserved better and I'm glad she's happy now. She was never truly happy with me."

"I met her." Prim told him, watching the small curl of his lips, "She stood up for me, I like her."

Tamlin nodded, looking to his daughter, "And what of her son? Do you like him?"

"Orion is... difficult." Prim sighed, "He is hard to read. Sometimes he bothers me with sarcasm and snarky comments. Other times he is rude and acts as if though I am not his equal but, instead, as if I am simply something in his way. I don't know how to feel about him. I know that I want to like him, but I'm not sure it's that easy."

Tamlin reached for Prim's hand across space between them, squeezing her palm, "I'm sorry for putting you in this situation. You deserve to marry someone you love, someone who also loves you and values you."

"I did this for us, for the better of our court. I do not regret it." Prim told him, though she did not believe the words she was saying.

Tamlin smiled, teeth flashing, "You are braver than I ever was, Primrose."

Prim chuckled, "I don't know about that, Daddy."

"I do," stated Tamlin, seriousness taking over him, "You are so incredibly selfless, flower. You put our court's happiness before your own and I do not know anything more admirable. Both the spring court and night court are lucky to have you."

"The night court will never be home, though. My heart is forever here, with you and the rest of our court," said Prim, looking out at the flowers and garden before her. In a dream world, she would have lived here forever, both of her parents by her side. She would have hopefully one day married, taken the position as High Lady and even had children of her own. She would have watched the flowers bloom and die and bloom once more. She would have been eternally happy, eternally in control of her own life.

"I'm very proud of you, Prim. I hope you know that." Tamlin smiled, the two of them rounding back toward the stables.

"I do, thank you." She grinned, the fakeness of it hurting her cheeks.

Upon putting the horses away, Tamlin and Primrose made their way into Rosehall. She spent the rest of her day there, reading in the library, having afternoon tea with her father, helping Malida prepare dinner - though she would not be eating any herself. It had just struck five o'clock and knowing she would have to get ready for the dinner Orion would be treating her to, Primrose said her goodbyes to the wonderful day she had experienced.

"Thanks for today, Daddy," Prim whispered, hugging her father goodbye.

He was smiling, but not without sorrow in his eyes, "I wish you didn't have to leave so soon."

Prim nodded, "Me too, but I'll see you soon."

Prim found it easier to pull away that time. Not easy, but easier. She headed from Rosehall, smiling as she went as she looked back over the grounds. She knew now that she could visit when she wanted, that she would never be kept away from home for too long.