CHAPTER FORTY TWO

There were figures in the distance, a blur against the horizon that became clearer and clearer with each step. The golden hair of a person she was certain was her father. The small bundle against a brunette's chest. An Illyrian upon the ground, wings spread out around them. Leo's screaming cries drowned out the moans of Azriel, and Primrose felt her knees wobble at the sight of stained red snow.

Feyre and Rhys reached them first, the High Lady reaching for her sister and the High Lord taking in the sight of his brother, unconscious and bleeding. Orion and Prim had just reached them as Rhys moved, swinging for Tamlin with a tight fist.

Tamlin stumbled backwards, and before Rhys could swing again, Elain cried out, "It wasn't him. Rhys, stop."

Primrose blinked as she dropped down onto her knees, following Orion's lead and reaching for Azriel. She removed her jacket, slipping it beneath his head as a pillow against the snow. She couldn't see where the bleeding was coming from, but there were rips and tears in his wings. As Orion noticed them, he shuddered, squeezing his eyes shut. She quickly rested a hand against his shoulder, leaning against him slightly as she looked up at Elain. Her skin was paler than normal, ashen, and there was a bloody cut on her forehead. Tears scattered her cheeks as she held Leo to her chest, bundled in blankets, and looked down at her husband. Primrose noticed her hands were stained with Az's blood.

Feyre had one hand on her sister, the other on her husband's back, keeping him calm. "What the hell are you doing here?" Rhys hissed, glaring at Tamlin who stood only inches away.

"I was coming back for Primrose when I saw the flames. I entered the River Estate in hopes of finding my daughter but found Elain and Azriel instead. I helped them escape," Tamlin explained, looking to Elain for assistance. Elain said nothing, but a sharp nod was enough.

Rhys sighed, bobbing his head as he let Tamlin go and moved to Azriel. Feyre raised her hand to cup Elain's cheek, "That looks nasty, El. How do you feel?"

Blood dripped down Elain's temple, "Like I want this all to be over. Like this nightmare is never going to end. Like my husband is unconscious and my baby is crying and there's nothing I can do to fix it. And lightheaded, I feel lightheaded."

Feyre dropped her hand, taking Leo from Elain as she knelt in the snow, crashing next to her husband and sobbing. Before Feyre could check over Elain properly, she passed Leo to Primrose, the redhead opening her arms for the babe and cradling him against her breast. Standing, she pressed kisses to his head, whispering and taking in that soft baby scent, "Sssh, little one. It's going to be okay. Mommy and Daddy are going to be okay."

Orion worked with Rhys to lift Azriel into a sitting position, Elain reaching for his hand and brushing his hair out of his face. Feyre was on her knees, pressing her scarf against Elain's head in an attempt to stop the bleeding. Prim felt so helpless, but she knew Leo needed the comfort Elain or Azriel should have been able to offer. Instead, Prim held him close, whispering to him as his cries slowly subsided.

"Primrose," a voice started, an obnoxious buzzing in her ear.

She did not turn as her father stopped beside her. Instead, she looked down into those wonderful eyes, wiping the tears from Leo's cheeks. His skin was soft like velvet, Prim pressing her lips to his nose and snuggling him closer as the wind blew.

"Can we talk, at least?" he tried again, voice pleading.

Prim rocked Leo, cupping his bottom with one hand and holding the back of his head with the other, "Can't you see I'm busy? Just go get help, make yourself useful for once."

Leaving his words to dry on his tongue, Tamlin ran through the snow and towards the Illyrians lingering in the camps. As Prim looked back at her family, she saw Orion with his hands supporting Azriel's wings, his palms blotched with blood, as Rhys lifted him from the cold ground. Elain was still crying, Feyre fussing endlessly and checking her over for any further injuries.

"Prim," Elain breathed, "Take Leo inside, it's too cold out here for him."

She wanted to help as much as she could. As much as she adored caring for Leo, there was still more she could do. "Elain-"

"Take him to the cabin, Primrose," ordered the brunette fae, the mother of the baby in her arms. Her friend. Her family. Her husband's aunt. As much a part of her as Orion was.

Primrose nodded, lowering Leo so Elain could press a kiss to his cheek, before raising him to her chest and turning away. The snow felt thicker as she headed back toward the cabin. The gentle heat from Leo's body was the only thing keeping her warm, both inside and out. The door was unlocked as Primrose reached the cabin, twisting the handle and rushing inside. Entering the sitting room, Prim became faced with Nesta, Lyra and Scarlet. All three sets of eyes zoned on Leo in her arms.

"Elain and Azriel got injured. Feyre, Rhys and Orion are with them now."

Before Primrose even finished the last sentence, the three females were up, pushing past her and out the door. Prim felt like shattering now she was alone. Alone, apart from the babe in her arms. She turned to the sofa, sitting down and laying Leo out on the leather. As she unravelled the blanket, Leo kicked out his legs and arms, stretching his body. Primrose couldn't help but chuckle despite the tears lining her eyes.

Resting her palm against his chest, Prim tickled his side gently, watching the newborn light up with delight. She sighed, running a thumb down his chubby cheek, "Thanks for making me feel better, baby boy. You're going to steal hearts one day."

"Who's stealing hearts?"

Prim turned toward the doorway to find Orion lingering, his hip against the frame as he looked at her and Leo. The smile he gave her didn't quite reach his eyes. As he reached out a hand, Prim stood, taking his now clean hand in her own, resting her head against his chest. Leo had fallen asleep upon the sofa, the soft sound of his breathing filling the room as she clung to her mate.

"Are they going to be okay?" Prim asked, dreading the answer as she hid her face in the crook of Orion's neck, feeling his warmth against her. Orion's hand ran tight circles over her back as he rested his cheek against her head.

"They will be. Physically, Elain is fine. Az will take a little longer to recover but should heal fully. I don't think he would have made it if it weren't for your father," Orion explained, his voice hoarse as he spoke of his aunt and uncle.

"I don't believe he came back for me," Prim breathed, nuzzling her nose against Orion's neck, "He was the one who left. Why would he come back? I'm not worth coming back to."

Pulling away, Orion cupped Prim's cheeks in his palms, "Primrose, don't ever say that again. If that was me, I'd crawl to you. I would fucking crawl, no matter how far."

Hot tears lined her cheeks, Orion kissing them away and pushing his forehead against hers, "I'm so glad I have you, love. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Wrapping her arms around his waist, Primrose buried herself within Orion's chest, peppering kisses along his collarbone. "I love you so much," he whispered, "My beautiful, beautiful wife."

Before Prim could respond, a gentle cry came from Leo, the baby blinking around as his eyes fluttered. He was likely looking for Elain or Azriel, and Prim's heart was hurting for him. It was Orion who moved first, a chuckle slipping from his lips as he lifted Leo to his chest. Leo's head fit perfectly upon his shoulder, Orion's massive palm cupping the back of his head. Wiggling her way in, Prim rested her head on Orion's other shoulder, one arm wrapping around his back and the other resting on his chest, allowing Leo to grab her pinky finger in his little fist.

"I love you," Prim whispered, squeezing Orion's side, "And I love you too, little one."

Orion kissed both Prim and Leo's heads, "Everything's going to be okay."