CHAPTER FIFTY THREE

It was strange, to see such a place of beauty burnt to an utter crisp. It would take weeks, if not months, for everything to be restored. Primrose had her hand in Nova's, the young fae's eyes brimmed with tears as they advanced the house. Some of the outside had been burnt, the once brown roof now black, but the inside seemed unharmed from the fire. Elain had a slight limp as she reached the door, whether from birth or hurting herself on the mountain that morning. Leo was still sleeping in Azriel's arms as they passed the threshold, the scent of lunch filling their nostrils.

After bathing, Primrose had returned to find Orion also bathed and dressed, a navy blue silk shirt tucked into black trousers replacing the Illyrian leathers that she so adored. Though, he did smell a lot nicer. They no longer had to dress to suit the snow, Nova and Elain's dresses welcoming the gentle breeze that was no longer as icy. Inside, there was no fire burning in the hearth and blankets were used to sit on instead of being wrapped around shoulders. Thesan and his captain were sat in the sitting room, whispering and sat closely. Prim flickered her eyes from them, following down the hall and toward the noise of rising voices.

Nova's squeal rang like bells in her ears as she rushed for her father. The kitchen was crowded, Scarlet was stood beside a pan, Lady Autumn and Lyra helping her dish up whatever meal she'd made. Prim was learning more and more that perhaps Scarlet was as good a chef as she was a warrior. Through the glass doors, she could see Helion, Lucien and Tamlin seated at the long, oak table. Feyre was sat by Rhys's side, Nesta and Cassian nowhere to be seen as they filled the room.

Rhysand stood, scooping up his daughter and holding her tight to his chest. His shoulders relaxed, the furrow in his brow loosening as he pressed a kiss to her hair, "My baby."

Feyre stood, her hand rubbing Nova's back as she brought her head back, smiling brightly at her mother and pressing kisses to her cheeks, "Oh, my little star."

Prim felt that tug in her stomach, Orion putting his hand on the small of her back and leading her forward before she could allow it to tighten further. Azriel fell into place beside his High Lady, letting Elain take Leo who was beginning to wake up and move into the dining room. Primrose did not miss the flicker of Azriel's eyes as he watched his wife enter the space where her mate lingered. She couldn't imagine how hard it was, watching the woman you love more than anything else near the man she was destined to be with. 

She turned to Orion, giving him a quick smile before brushing her lips to his, I'm going to sit with Elain.

His eyes shot to Azriel knowing as he nodded, Okay, dearest.

Shooting a smile to Feyre who now had Nova on her hip, Primrose weaved through the faes, pushing into the dining room. Elain was talking to Helion, the High Lord making funny faces to the babe who was now wide-eyed and curious.

"Primrose!" Tamlin pulled out a chair, beaming at his daughter, "Come sit beside me."

She was forced to look away from the scene, her god-son absorbed in the High Lord, Lucien watching shyly from the side. Whether Elain noticed his stare on not, she did not show it. Prim moved around the table, her flowy olive green skirt swishing around her ankles as she settled beside her father.

"How are you feeling, Daddy?" she asked, resting her elbow on the table.

She'd never seen him as happy as he was right now, the creases around his eyes faded, as did the ones in the middle of his forehead. Despite being eternally youthful, he actually looked young. "Better than ever." He sounded happier too, that deep raspiness that usually claimed his tone had almost disappeared, "Thank you."

Prim blinked, "You're thanking me? What for?"

"For opening my eyes to change, truly opening them. I'm sorry. Not for everything I've done to you, but everything I've ever done. Knowing you were in the midst of this war, Prim it... It made me see clearer. I couldn't lose you, not ever, and knowing that other people were losing their loved ones... I just couldn't sit by with such hatred in my heart."

She was moving forward straight away, her arms wrapping around his shoulders and pulling him close. She knew it was the bare minimum, that Lucien and Rhysand had been pushing him for this change since the beginning of time. But that didn't matter to her, she just knew that she was playing a part in making her father a better male, and she was proud of him nonetheless. She was about to tell him so, the words on the tip of her tongue, when someone else spoke, catching her attention.

"Elain?" It was Lucien, his voice hushed as though he knew Azriel was listening.

Prim pulled away from Tamlin, the pair turning to watch the redhead address his mate. Elain looked up, her hand pulling away from where her finger was stroking Leo's cheek, resting her palm on his chest instead. She lifted her eyebrows in question and Lucien cleared his throat, shifting in his seat as though he had at least wanted her to say something in response.

"I... I just wanted to thank you for what you did. Climbing across those mountains to get to me was dangerous, but you did it anyway, you saved my life," he breathed, barely keeping eye contact as he spoke.

She nodded slowly, quirking her lips to the side as she thought. When she looked down, attention going back to Leo, Primrose wondered if she was going to say anything at all. But, then she spoke, adjusting her son in her arms as she looked back up, meeting Lucien's gaze, "Would you like to hold him?"

Lucien blinked, his fake eye-rolling in shock, "I... Are you sure?"

Elain was already standing, moving across the room, "You're Feyre's friend. If my sister trusts you, then so do I."

The High Lord of Autumn sat back in his chair, preparing for the babe to be lowered into his arms. Helion moved his chair to the side so Elain could squeeze between them both, passing Leo along. He immediately reached up and grabbed a lock of Lucien's hair, the High Lord letting out an unexpected chuckle, "Hello Leo."

Elain stepped back, resting against the window ledge. Primrose could have sworn the kitchen darkened with Azriel's shadows. Lucky for them, Azriel would never do anything to hurt another High Lord they were allied with, even if that High Lord was holding the babe that he'd sired with said High Lord's mate. After staring at Leo's face, lips curling in a smile as he pulled continuously on his hair, Lucien turned back to look at Elain, "He looks like you."

Elain gave a proud grin, "He does. Though, I bet he'll act a lot like his daddy. All mysterious with those shadows and big wings."

As though summoned by the mention of him, Azriel came through the doors, "Lunch is ready."

Scooping him up in one quick movement, Elain took Leo from Lucien, moving across the room to her husband. As she passed, hips swishing and lips pulled in a smirk, she pecked a kiss to his cheek, sliding through the door and into the other room. Pink blossomed on Azriel's cheek for a mere moment before it disappeared, shadows sucked back in closely around himself as he turned, following after his family.

Prim stood, ready to follow after Lucien and Helion who were already moving to the kitchen when Tamlin placed a hand on her elbow. She turned to her father, curiosity furrowing her brows as he looked at her, "Can I speak with you for a moment? Outside?"

He gestured to the back door that had once led to the forest. She could only nod, smiling as her father led her outside. Her booted feet crunched under burnt twigs, turning them to ashes. Tamlin stopped a few feet ahead of her and Primrose felt her stomach sink.

"Dad? What is it?"

He slowly turned, clearing his throat as his hands slipped into his pockets, "When we spoke about change, it didn't only mean a change in heart... but a change in position."

She shook her head, biting down on her lip, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"The Spring Court," he whispered, eyes locking onto her own, shining bright emerald, "I'm leaving the Spring Court."