Echoes of the Past: Ch.27

Jackie waited and waited.

She got up at one point to make some food for Kenny and her.

When she got back, Kenny was out cold. Jackie checked her watch and notified herself Nixon would be here in 10.

Jackie was anxious as she waited. There was a knock at the door. Jackie paused and cleared her throat.

"Come in," she said, trying not to make her voice shake.

Nixon came in. She avoided his gaze.

"Where's Jack?" The VP asked, looking around.

"He's not here. His brother hit his head on something and he was rushed to the hospital." Jackie bit her lip.

Nixon nodded. "I dropped this by." He handed Jackie a letter. "Its for him."

Jackie looked back at him. She smiled.

"Do you want anything?" Jackie asked softly. "Coffee or tea?"

Nixon shook his head. He felt awkward intruding on the First Lady's property. He also felt awkward that he knew she'd been diagnosed with cancer which had killed her.

Jackie shifted. "Well...he'll be here tomorrow. You can stay here if you would like."

"I'll be fine, thank you." Nixon stood up. "Just make sure he gets that letter."

Jackie smiled softly and nodded. She rubbed her baby bump. Nixon left.

Kenny was still asleep. Jackie went outside, hoping for some privacy.

Election Day, November 4th 1960

Jackie's stomach had swelled in size. Today was the competition between Jack and his other enemy. Jackie didn't remember his name. She peered from the shadows and watched her husband as he debated.

She was stunned. He was obviously better. She left the room and went to relax. She ended up passing out and sleeping on the couch.

She woke up to someone shaking her gently. She groaned in protest.

"Jackie," Joan said softly. "Jackie, wake up."

Jackie woke up gasping. "Oh!"

Jack was in the room. He was smiling.

"Jackie, he won." At that, she smiled. "Goldwater didn't stand a chance."

Jackie looked at her Bunny. They locked eyes. Jack seemed troubled and uncertain. She knew what was wrong.

The darkest part of their love story was about to begin.

End of Part 1

.............

Sorry I'm evil lol. Keeping it as a cliffhanger! Don't worry I'm working on the next part as we speak 😇👋