Echoes of the Past Ch. 11

"Oh God," Jackie breathed, panting slowly. "That was the best sleep I've ever had in a while."

Jack grinned happily at her. He was full of energy now.

"Yeah," he agreed. "What a night."

Jackie stroked his hair afterwards and Jack sulked after that and he'd gone downstairs to find Nixon.

Nixon was eating his breakfast slowly. Jack thanked God that Jackie hadn't followed him at the last time.

Jack sat down beside him. "Morning."

Nixon ignored him.

"Can't be just pretend we like each other?" Jack hissed.

Nixon looked up and Jack met cold blue eyes. "I don't want to be friends with a Democrat. You are risking your chances, Kennedy."

"I'm brash," Jack muttered, deciding not to say anything rude other then that.

Nixon laughed dryly. "Yes...you proved that in the Bay of Pigs."

Jack didn't smile. He scowled at him.

"So what do you want?" Nixon asked changing the subject. "Other then begging not to be crushed."

"I want to stop the-" Nixon cut him off at that.

"Jack." It was a shock he called him by his first name. His eyes were a little softer and warmer for the second. "You can't change the past, it's too hard. It doesn't wan to be changed. The past is obdurate."

"It can be stopped," Jack replied. "I just need to know what happens after. What happens to Jackie?"

The former VP smirked. "So you told her your secret?"

Jack was blushing. "Shut up!"

"Fine," Nixon sighed. "She was stalked by the press after you died. She married Onassis after Bobby died-"

"Bobby dies?" Jack asks, his fists clenching.

Nixon pauses. "He died in 68' on the campaign trail."

Jack's eyes fill with tears. This is all my fault, he thinks. He stands up and leaves the room.

Jack locks his door and goes into the room. He buries his face into a pillow and began to sob uncontrollably.

A few minutes after, Jack passed out.