Echoes of the Past: Ch.21

"Jackie?" Jack asked, coming into their room that they shared. Nixon had left 20 minutes ago, leaving the clip on the desk. Jack had been stunned after he'd seen it. He'd seen the whole thing before exploding into tears at the end when Jackie had died.

Jackie was cuddled on the bed, crying into some pillows. She had blankets draped over her as she cried.

"Jackie?" Jack repeated, sitting down beside him. She looked up through reddened eyes.

"Jack! Oh My God!" She was scarred for life after she had seen that. She had seen her own husband's head shatter into pieces by a single bullet.

"Jackie, it's okay. It won't happen." He tried to reassure her. He didn't tell her about how she had died. "It won't happen. Think about next month."

Jackie tried to smile as she thought of Caroline. But thinking of Caroline led to Jack's death and she was crying all over again.

"Jack it hurts," she admitted, thinking about her future. "I can't help it. What if I lose the babies?"

Jack's eyes turn fierce. "You won't."

She slipped his hand onto his. "You don't know this future, Jack."

He smiles. "I don't, but I know what will happen in the future if all plays right. We'll have more children and I won't die in Dallas. I promise that Jackie."

She smiled. Or at least tried to. "Jack, let's go for a walk."

About one month later....

"Jack!"

The senator sat up in alarm as he heard Jackie's scream. He sat up quickly and stood up, ignoring the pain in his back. He went to his room to see Jackie bending over, cradling her stomach.

She's coming, Jack thinks in panic, the baby is coming. He gets her in the car and drives to the closest hospital. By now, Jackie is crying.

"It hurts," she rasped. "Oh, God!"

Jack helps her out of the car. She's limping now. Her face is contorted with pain as they go.

Jackie collapses on the bed and the doctors work on her. Jack waits outside, trying not to cry. He'll finally meet his "buttons."

Jack glances around the hospital doors. A lifetime ago, he was the one laying on a hospital bed, his blood running out from his wounds. Dying slowly and waking up to find himself in the past. At first he'd thought, he was the only one but he was wrong.

Jack shook the thoughts off as one of the nurses came back in. "Senator."

Jack looked up. His eyes showed hope as did the nurse's.

"Come see your baby girl," the nurse smiled. Jack nodded and went inside. Jackie was lying awake, with a baby babbling and squealing. The baby looked up. Jack smiled in relief.

Caroline, he thought, Caroline, we meet again.

________________________

HI GUYS, HAPPY MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. DAY!!!!!!! 🇺🇸✨💋