Echoes of the Past Ch.17

Jack woke up with a splintering headache and his back screeching in pain and protest. He looked around at his surroundings.

He was in a bed, a hospital bed. He tried to sit up but that hurt his back even more. He felt like crying.

"Jackie?" He rasped out.

Jackie was hovering over him, a look of worry etched on her face. "Jack! Thank God!"

"What?" Jack asked looking confused.

"You passed out," Jackie explained. "It's your back isn't it?"

Jack was a mess. He was crying. "Yes."

Jackie put her hand on his forehead which was warm. Jack felt sick to the stomach. He vomited.

He didn't understand. His back surgery was supposed to happen a year from now. He was confused.

Jack looked at his shirt. "I can't leave..."

"Leave what?" She asked puzzled.

"The Senate," Jack replied in pain. "I have to do my destiny, Jackie. I can't abandon it. I was born to serve."

"You won't abandon your destiny," Jackie sounded fierce. "I won't let it happen."

Jack sighed. His back ached. "My senate seat. We could give it to Bobby."

Jackie shrugged. "For the time being?"

"That's what I meant," he smiled weakly.

"I guess you could." Jackie agreed.

Jack gazed off into the distance. He knew the next few days to come in the hospital would be a living hell.