Echoes of the Past Ch.18

October 1957

Jackie had been pregnant for over for 8 months now. She had one month left. She was weak, her face pale and flushed. She sat in her bed, her eyes dry and the smile was not on her face. Jack was sleeping beside her.

At times, she was stunned. Her husband, a time traveler, one who had suffered so much and endured so much.

Jackie watched him sleep. His back was not hurting but he was having a bad dream. Jackie looked at the clock. 8:30 am. Jack had his day off so she wasn't so sure about waking him up when he had a day off.

Jack began to groan. "No...the baby....Patrick!"

She nudged him slightly. "Jack...Jack...wake up."

Jack woke up, crying. "Jackie..."

"Jack," she started rubbing his back muscle. "What's wrong?"

"Patrick." He exploded into a flood of tears.

She sat up, even though her stomach hurt and there was a bugle under it. She tried to make him calm.

"I'm taking pills now," she said in her breathy tone. "The baby won't be lost now." She smiled.

"The pills probably won't work." Jack was tired. He just wanted it to be 1964 to see if he would live or die. "Jackie...I can't do this. I need to tell my parents about my future." Without waiting for her to reply, he swung his legs over the bed and headed to the living room.

Bobby, Joe and Rose were still awake. This stunned Jack.

"Dad," he said; his back aching. "I...we need to talk..."

Bobby's eyes widened. "Jack...you don't mean...?"

"Shut up," Jack snapped, half grumpy. He turned to his parents. "We need to talk. This will only take 30 minutes."

His parents obliged. Jack sat down and began to tell his story.