Chapter 4

I hear the beeping sound of the machine that is keeping track of my heart, and hear people in the background. My eyes open slowly, but everything is a blur. I take my time trying to get my vision clear up, and they finally do. I turn to look to my right, seeing a dark figure and I get scare. But as my vision clear up, it's Johnny; asleep on the chair.

"Johnny..." I call calmly. He doesn't hear me.

"Johnny," I call a little louder but still soft. His head lifts slowly, his eyes open, and looks at me. I look at him traumatize and he rushes to my side. He grabs my right hand with both his hands and kisses it constantly.

"Jesus Christ, Tess. You're okay," he said as he continues to kiss my hand constantly. Aaron!

"Aaron! Where is he?" I said in a panic tone.

"Dead," Johnny answers. I jerk back a bit, my eyes blinking a few times in surprise to hear this.

"Dead? How?" I ask. Johnny breaks eye contact with me, lowering his head for a moment and looks back at me.

"I shot him, out of anger," he answers.

"You shot him?" I ask out of surprise.

"Yes, I did. He was talking about you and her," he explains. He exhales a breath of air and said, "My anger got out of control and I shot him multiple times on the chest." My stomach drops and my heart races, afraid of what will happen to him. He notices that I'm worrying, so he comforts me.

"Don't worry. My uncle has it taken care of," Johnny said.

"Your uncle going to cover up your track and that you won't go to jail? No, I won't let that happen," I exclaim. I get annoy and try to fight it out, but I wasn't winning.

"Tess, please stop. It was self-defense and I was protecting you," he explains.

"Protecting me? How? How were you protecting me?" I ask.

"By killing that son of a bitch, who raped you!" he exclaims. He pushes my hands back to me, getting up from the chair and walks away from me; angry of how I'm reacting to all this.

"I don't even get a hug, or happiness to see that I'm here with you to make sure you're fucking safe and okay, but no. I get a slap across my face, because of my actions that are being covered by a family member of the police force," he exclaims. I stare at him for a while as he lashes out at me. I feel as though I am a child being lectured by her mom, for misbehaving.

"I could have let Aaron have it with you. Abuse you, rape you, everything, so that you can relive what you went through with Ryan, but I didn't. I love you and care about you too much, for anything like that happen to you. I want to protect you from any bad guys that come after you, to do what men do," he explains. I start to feel sick to my stomach as he continues to speak, telling me that I'm wrong and he's right in the situation. He finishes talking, glaring at me hard and long, and then doesn't say another word. Instead, he walks out of the room and leaving me here alone. I stare at the door for a moment, and then lowering my head in shock. My heart racing, my stomach churning out of feeling sick to it, and my breathing gets fast. I lie back on the hospital bed, staring up at the ceiling and blow out a puff of air. Seconds later, I burst into tears and let out my emotions.

Two hours has gone by and Johnny hasn't come back to my room. The nurse during the overnight shift enters the room with a tray of food and sets it down on my little desk, and then brings it up to me.

"Here you go Ms. Edmondson. Medium-rare steak with mashed potatoes and asparagus with a dinner roll," said the nurse. I sit up in my hospital bed, surprise to see what I'm having for dinner, so I asks, "Is everybody having the same meal?"