Chapter 9

We pull into the parking garage of the galleria and head toward the valet parking lot. I take a deep breath and try to relax my nerves. Mom turns to look at me and asks, "Are you, alright honey? You were pretty quiet throughout the ride here." I turn to look at her and nod my head with a small smirk on my face.

"I just think Johnny is taking this celebration of our engagement a little too far," I answer. Her lips press against each other, like she making a duck face and blows out air.

"Don't be silly honey. Sweetie, this is how it suppose to be when a couple gets engaged. You should be excited and happy. Are you happy?" she said. I nod my head and letting out a sigh.

"What's on your mind sweetie? You look so worried," she asks.

"Mom, I am happy. You have no idea how happy I am, to be marrying someone that I truly love. He makes me very happy and I know that deep down he's going to protect me. He'll be supportive of whatever I do with my life. I know he'll be faithful to me. There's just so much going on right now and I think this whole engagement is a distraction for what is really going on," I explain. She reaches over and grabs both my hands. I look at her directly in the eyes and wait for what she has to say now.

"Sweetheart, if you think that is the whole case. Why haven't you talked with Johnny about this? Plus in my opinion, I don't think it is a distraction for what is going on. With his ex and her parents, who are really some fucked up people. Plus, I can tell that he really wants to marry you and wants you to be his wife as soon as possible," she explains. We pull up to the valet spot, two valet guys come up the car and open all three doors. Brandon gets out first and walks up to the valet table, to get a ticket. Mom and I get out of the car and stand by each other, side by side. Brandon lets mom and I go in front of him, as we make our way into the mall. We enter the mall through Macy's. It's crowded as usual. We walk over to the women's department and where they carry nice dresses. Mom and I go through over a dozen dresses, but didn't find anything amusing or worth buying for tonight's celebration. We decide to go to Dillard's to see what did they have.

As we're walking down the hall of the mall, I start to get worried. Worried that someone will notice me. Mom turns to look at me and sees how my body language is, so she wraps one arm around me, pulling herself close to me. I turn to look at her, smiling and she smiles back. We make it to Dillards, walking over to the women's department formal area. We repeat the same routine we did at Macy's, going through a dozen dresses and we come across dresses that we like. I walk out with my last and final dress, a black/white lace detail sweater dress that the neckline wraps around my neck literally and the black lace shows a little on my shoulders and chest area. It fits my chubby body perfect, no mishaps. As for mom, she walks out in a mid-length black/navy blue tuxedo dress. She looks up at me and is astonish on how I look. I feel the same way for her.

"Wow, mom. That looks amazing on you," I compliment. Mom couldn't help but smile, blushing a little. Mom has never experience this in a very long time. I remember the story she told me when dad took her out on a date for the first time. She had no idea how to dress for the occasion, but she tried her best. Mom comes up to me, placing her hands on my shoulders and softly caresses them.

"You look beautiful honey. Dress suits you, since you're getting married," she said. I chuckle, lowering my head for a moment, and then looking back at her. "Let's get out of these dresses and buy them. We'll need to buy shoes and purses to go with them too," she continues. I nod my head, agreeing with her. We go back into our fitting rooms, taking off the dresses and putting back on our clothes. Both of us walk out of the fitting room with our dresses, heading to the checkout line. As soon as I'm about to pull out my card to pay for the dresses, Brandon comes up and hands the checkout lady a credit card. I turn to look at Brandon, in shock.