Chapter 22

I wake up the next morning to the smell of fresh brewed coffee and hearing the sound of birds chirping. Also, I wake up to me completely naked in the bed. I turn over to see Johnny not in the bed. My left hand reaches out to his side of the bed that he slept on, but stops when I see my wedding ring on my finger. I pull my hand back, to get a better look at my ring. I lie back on the bed, staring at my hand and admiring my ring. There's a knock on the door. I sit up slightly on the bed and see Johnny, holding two coffee mugs.

"Good morning, Mrs. Burton," he greets. I smile at him and said, "Good morning, Mr. Burton." He returns the smile, walking to my side of the bed to hand my coffee mug. I take it from his hand, taking a quick sip. He joins me in the bed, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Has it hit you yet?" he asks.

"What do you mean?" I asks.

"Being married," he answers. Oh.

"Honestly, no. It hasn't I still think that it's a dream that I don't want to wake up and face reality," I explain. He smiles and says, "I feel the same way."

"You do?" I asks.

"Yes, I do. I never imagine that I would get married or settle down, but it changed when I met you. You did something to me that no words could express it. To be honest, I am forever grateful and blessed that you came into my life, Tess," he explains. His words warm my heart. The front door of the cabin opens and we hear footsteps. Johnny comes alert and gets up from the bed, to see who's at the door. He sees Thomas and relaxes.

"Good morning Mr. Burton," he greets.

"Thomas. I suppose you have some news," Johnny said.

"I do and it's not good," Thomas replies. I climb out of the bed, throw on some clothes and join Johnny at his side. I grab Johnny's hand, gripping it firmly.

"One of the sea patrol boats spotted this last night," Thomas informs. He hands the tablet to Johnny. We glance at it and see a picture of a small cubby boat and Pamela driving away from the cabin. I start to feel sick to my stomach.

"When was this taken?" Johnny asks.

"Around the same time after the wedding ceremony," Thomas answers.

"Jesus christ," I whisper.

"Did they follow her?" he asks.

"They did, but lost her when fog came through," Thomas answers. Johnny gets furious, handing back the tablet to Thomas.

"Keep us in the loop," Johnny said. Thomas gives him a nod and leaves. Johnny lets go of my hand, walking away and forces some air out of his mouth from aggravation. I follow him, but stop knowing that he wants some time to himself. I take a seat on the couch, watching Johnny pace around the cabin as he recollects his thoughts.

"What do we do know, Johnny? Pamela knows where we are," I said. He lets out a sigh and answers, "I don't know." A frown draws on my face as I begin to worry about us, for our safety. I lower my head, letting out a sigh. He glances over and sees me on the couch, worried. He walks over, taking a seat next to me on the couch. He takes my hand into his, caressing it.

"We'll have to go back into the city," he said.

"And do what? Go about our normal lives?" I asks. He shrugs his shoulders and asks, "What do you propose we do?" I didn't have an answer for that question. He's right. I know he's right. I sigh and look at him.

"Maybe we should go back," I said. He locks his eyes on me.

"Are you sure?" he ask. I nod my head. A smirk draws on his face and said, "Alright. But if we go back, you will listen exactly as I tell you to. Do you understand?"