Interactions

The next few days passed in an imperceptible blur. I entered the life of the Order, gradually understanding the tasks of everyone. There was a constant bustle in the quarters. Each person in this bustle moved as if unseeing hands dragged them this way and that, pulling their eyes to one thing and then another. They responded immediately when setting tasks, each of them with a goal to achieve for the day. But underneath that was free will, the ability to truly chose their own path. Each of them had volunteered for the Order and was fully aware of the risks.

Everyone was so busy with something that I didn't even have time to talk to Sirius in peace. I hadn't spotted Remus either. I learned from Bill that he got up early and came home late. Maybe that was better. I couldn't imagine sitting in the same room with him as if we were just acquaintances.

I was angry because everyone treated me like I was sick and expected me to fall apart at any moment. They didn't give me tasks to get involved with. When I wanted to do something, whether in the house or on a mission, I was always told that the important thing at the moment was to rest, despite my assurances that my wound was almost healed. Which it really was. I only had a few small scars left. I had begun to regain another pound, and I no longer looked so horrified and tormented when I looked in the mirror. 

A fortnight had passed and I was becoming stronger every day. I felt my physical strength return. For the mental - I could not say for sure. I had decided to get up early and run again, but this time I stopped at a nearby park. I never imagined running in Broxbourne Woods again. I wore a sports outfit - tight short shorts, a tank top, and running shoes. The Muggles were good at sewing comfortable clothes. Running calmed me down. I ran, feet kissing the land. Perhaps some years ago I would have balked at the idea of running without direction, now I relish the prospect to just run far and fast. My feet were made to travel at speed and as light as the paws of a she-wolf.

When I felt that my legs couldn't take it anymore, my muscles were burning and I was all sweaty, I decided it was time to go home. It was still very early, so everyone would probably still be asleep. I decided to sneak into the kitchen and have a quick meal before going up to my room and taking a bath. 

To my quiet horror, I wasn't the only one awake. Remus was sitting at the table, facing the door. There was a cup of tea in front of him, and he was reading Daily Prophet. I could see he hadn't shaved in days. His hair was a mess of amber and a pinch of grey, and there was a bit of a frown creased between his brows. 

He looked up to me and was startled for a moment. But he quickly recovered from the initial shock and spoke first. "Good morning. "

"Good morning. "I replied without knowing what to say. I could feel my cheeks flush crimson and did not know what to do next. 

Thanks to Merlin, he continued. "You're running again. Are you feeling better? "His tone was gentle without a hint of anger or another unpleasant feeling. His eyes glazed a bit and stared at me in a way that made me feel naked. For a moment I regretted wearing such short shorts. There was concern in his gaze. My heart fluttered. Still, I wasn't completely indifferent to him.

"Yes, I'll be back in shape with Molly's dishes, and another pound on top," I smiled at him trying to avoid his gaze. I could feel his eyes studying me not able to meet them again. 

He smiled slightly too but didn't answer. He returned to the newspaper again. To my relief, Bill came into the room and broke the awkward silence.

"Good morning, early risers." He yawned and stretched languidly. "Is there anything for breakfast because I probably won't have time for another meal today? There was a big mess in Gringotts around a vault, and I'll probably have to give extra hours. "