Chapter Thirteen

The first semester of my final year of high school went fairly uneventful. Other than the fact that by April I was essentially living with Leeteuk-oppa. I spent Jonghyun's birthday and the anniversary of SHINee's debut with Taemin. The others had all left for conscription by this point. Without me, he would've been alone to tour the museum set-up that SM had made to chronicle SHINee's 10th Anniversary, which included things that Jonghyun had worn, touched, used, and pictures of the group from debut up until now. It was bittersweet for Taemin who loved and missed Jonghyun so much.

BTS debuted Map of the Soul: Persona in New York, before coming back to do the comeback stages. After that, they were right back on a plane to California, as their tour continued through mid-July. They had concerts in America, South America, Europe, and Japan, before taking a break until technically mid-October.

In mid-October the tour would continue with a trip to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, a historic concert, considering the venue was letting females in for the first time in decades to attend the event. They would return to Seoul after that and finish up the concert with a couple of performances there. Basically, I was going to be spending a lot of time with Leeteuk in 2019, considering by the time the Love Yourself: Speak Yourself tour ended, it was going to be the beginning of the end of year awards show season.

I kept my grades up in the first semester, and still spent time with my friends, but one day, I went out with Changbin, which I had been keeping the fact we'd been spending so much time together from everyone, and dyed my hair purple. My friends were shocked, but liked it. Leeteuk took a picture and sent it to Appa. He called and threw a fit. Changbin thought it looked cute on me. Honestly, I did, too.

With BTS gone, Changbin was helping me to do Kris' song in Yoongi's studio. It was finished before they got back in July from Japan. Yoongi was angry I had been in his studio to work on the song unsupervised, but again, nobody knew Changbin had anything to do with it other than Kris. Since Appa and the rest of BTS had missed my birthday, Leeteuk had thrown me a party with my friends, which was a lot of fun. When BTS returned, I sat Appa down to talk.

"What is it?" Appa asked, sounding tired.

"I want you to reconsider allowing me to start dating, Appa," I told him. "I'm 18 now, and I want to know that you trust my judgment if I want to start dating."

"I need to think about that. Especially since you've been so... colorful lately," he replied.

"I thought the change looked good on me, Appa. It made me see possibilities of what I could be in my future," I replied. "I liked the different colors. But because you were so against it, Leeteuk-oppa made sure I had all the color removed before you came home."

"Who gave you permission to do that, Ryu-ah?"

"I didn't ask," I admitted.

He let out an overdramatic sigh.

"Ryu-ah, you knew the rules of you being allowed to go out unsupervised was that I, or whoever was your guardian if I wasn't in Seoul, knew who you were with and what you were doing," Appa started. "You didn't stick to that with Leeteuk. And now you're asking for more freedom? How am I supposed to trust you with more freedom after you just broke the trust in the freedom I'd already been giving you?"

"Appa, it was only changing my hair! Everyone walks on eggshells around me about me doing anything, even with you giving me that freedom! Even when you're not in Seoul, it's like if I so much as want to change the style of jeans I wear, they need to call you and it's a whole debate! How is that really freedom?" I demanded.

Again, he let out an overdramatic sigh.

"Alright, I'll give you a second chance and we'll try allowing you to date, Ryu," he conceded to my points. "But, I want to meet anybody you're going to date and I want to know that our communications won't break down. If you get into trouble with your boyfriend, I want to know that you will still come talk to me, Ryu-ah. It took us years of fighting and then me being scared to death for us to come this far. I'm not willing to lose the progress we've made."