Chapter Seventeen

Jisung's POV:

It had been more than a month, and Ryu-ah and I were heading to my parents' house. I was as nervous as she was. It had been a while since I had seen not only my parents, but my older brother. Eomma had called me and told me he was going to be there to meet Ryu-ah as well. I had let her know as soon as I found out. Even though she was clearly nervous, she took it well. All she had to say was: "Well, you had to face Yoongi and Kookie. I doubt you're brother is as bad as either of them can be," smiling at me slightly.

I pulled the SUV up to my parents' house and went to the passenger side, opening the door. I helped her out and we walked to their front door together. After knocking twice, I used my keys to let us in. The knocking had just been my way of letting them know we were there before entering. 

They were in the living room waiting for us. My family embraced me, being the youngest and so busy at SM I didn't get to make these trips across town often. When they finally let me go, I went back to Ryu-ah's side, taking her hand in mine again. 

"Eomma, Appa, Hyung, I want you to meet Kim Ryung-gi. She's my best friend and girlfriend," I told them. 

Immediately, Eomma embraced Ryu-ah and I could see it was a little awkward for her, not having had a maternal figure for so long. Appa gave me a look that said he needed to speak to me. Hyung was looking at me like he knew I was in trouble. When Eomma let Ryu-ah go, Hyung got closer to her. 

"It's nice to meet you, Ryung-gi. My name is Park Hyuntae," I heard him say as Appa led me into the dining room.

"Girlfriend, Jisung? That's not why your mother and I allowed you to go to SM. We sent you to follow your ambitions to become an idol," Appa said to me when we were alone.

"I know, Appa," I said, being respectful. "And I haven't lost focus. If anything, Ryu-ah has made me more focused. She understands my dream and doesn't interfere."

"You're not supposed to be dating. Idols don't date. Their companies don't allow it," Appa said. "What happens when SM finds out about this?"

"They already know. They've agreed to let us be, especially since we've been so discreet that nobody's really noticed I have a girlfriend," I answered him. "They've known her for a long time. She was friends with my sunbae-nims in EXO, SHINee, Super Junior, TVXQ, and even NCT for almost a decade, Appa. She does freelance work with SM."

"What do you mean?" he asked. 

"She produced Dream's last mini album. And the Beyond Live concerts? She's done the graphics for three of the first four shows. SM asked her after the NCT 127 concert to do the graphics for Super Junior's concert on the 31st. It's why we had to wait so long to do this, Appa."

"So, is she a producer or a graphic designer?"

"Actually, Ryu-ah does a little of everything in the music business. She's been raised around it. Ryung-gi is the adopted daughter of Kim Seok-jin of BTS. Until we started going to school together, she spent most of her time in the practice rooms and studios of Big Hit Entertainment. She learned to dance as well as I can, play instruments, produce music, traditionally and remotely, she can choreograph music, she's helped to direct music videos, contributed to FT Island's last album before Lee Honggi went on conscription, been on music shows herself, she can write and compose songs... Appa, I really haven't found an aspect of the music business Ryung-gi is incapable of handling. She can even sing and rap like I can," I told him.

"Has she been recruited by a company?"

"She's in university. She works freelance for companies," I replied.