1

Natalia Morales grabbed her bag and elegantly stepped out of her father's car

Natalia Morales grabbed her bag and elegantly stepped out of her father's car. She closed the door and looked up to see her best friend, Marina Nunier, waiting for her at the entrance to Las Encinas.

Natalia smiled and quickly walked over to the girl. The two embraced each other in a heartfelt hug and they both pulled away with smiles on their faces. Marina was the first to speak "How have you been?"

Natalia began to speak as the two began to walk into the school "Well, both of my parents are too busy with work to look after my sister which leaves me to do it and, let's just say, she isn't the easiest 11 year old to look after." Marina nodded "Did you get the message about my party?" Natalia smiled "Yeah I did. I'm still stuck on what to wear though. I'll have to look online."

Marina sighed "Yeah me too. I swear my mother is more invested in what I'm wearing than I am." The two girls laughed and as they continued down the corridor, they spotted three unfamiliar faces outside of their classroom.

Before the two entered the class, Marina looked at them "Are you the new kids?" The boy with dark her nervously responded ""  Marina smirked "Good luck, then. You're gonna need it." Natalia rolled her eyes and followed Marina into the classroom.

She spotted her boyfriend, Tomás, sitting in his usual seat with his sunglasses on and his head down. Natalia scoffed and walked over to him.

The three new students walked in behind them and one of them decided to introduce themselves "What's up, guys. I'm Christian!" Natalia stood in front of her boyfriend and she took off his sunglasses, causing him to look up.

"Hey, beautiful." Natalia kissed him softly on his cheek "¿Cómo estás?" Tomás smiled "I'm good, how are you?" Before Natalia could speak, Martín walked into the room. "Good morning, class. How is everybody doing today? Please sit down." Natalia winked at Tomás and sat in her seat next to Marina.

Martín faced the class "Okay. So, as we all know, we have three new students with us today. Let's meet them." The first student, Christian Varela, stood up after his name was called and looked at the class "Yes. Hello ugh...goodbye." The class erupted in laughter as he sat back down.

Next was Nadia Shanaa, "Hello, I'm Nadia, I'm 16. My family is from Palestine but I was born here in Spain and when I finish my studies, I'd like to be professional diplomat in the United Nations." Natalia nodded slowly and saw Lu starting to feel uncomfortable.

Martín nodded "You know, every year we choose our best student, and the trophy is rather ugly, but it allows you to study the next year at...who can tell me where?" The class raised their hands and Martín pointed to Carla "At a school in Florida. Which gives you access to an Ivy League University."

Nadia's eyes widened "How can you win?"
Martín walked back to the front of the class."You win by excelling in all activities, both curricular and extracurricular. The more extracurriculars, the better. Photography, chess, Chinese. Check out the list."

Martín looked at the last pupil to introduce, Samuel García. He remained seated "Hi my name is Samuel. I've got the feeling anything I say will be used against me, so I'll remain silent." Lu began to laugh "How darling!"

Martín sighed and sat on his desk "Don't be afraid. At this school, we teach values. Manners and respect are paramount. The leaders of tomorrow are at this school." Samuel looked down "I know. That's what I'm afraid of." Guzmán scoffed and looked at Lu "what did the waiter say? He's talking to us"

Whilst Martín told off the laughing teenagers, Natalia rolled her eyes and whispered to Marina who was watching Samuel with curiosity in her eyes "Can they be anymore annoying." Marina smirked "Yes." The two quietly laughed until Samuel began to speak again.

"All right, my names Samuel, and I am, as your classmate said, a waiter. Strange as it may seem to you, sometimes waiters get a seat at the table. But you don't need to worry. I'm not here to take anybody's place. You are still the leaders of tomorrow."

***

Natalia walked out of the class and spotted Samuel García standing by his locker. She strutted over to him and smiled "Hi!" The boy closed his locker in shock and smiled shyly "hola." Natalia put her hand out "I'm Natalia but you can call me Talia."

Samuel shook her hand and smiled "It's nice to meet you. I'm Samuel but you can call me Samu. You're not like the rest of them, are you?" Natalia sighed "Yeah, I'm sorry about them. They think because they're rich that they can step on everyone who isn't. You don't have to worry about me though. I actually have class."

Samuel laughed "Do you happen to be Marina's friend?" Natalia smirked "Have you met her?" Samuel nodded "Yeah, we were actually having a nice conversation until her brother starting teasing me."

Natalia rolled her eyes in annoyance "Guzmán is very aggressive. I'd stay away from him if I were you." Samuel frowned "If they're so dangerous, why do you hang out with them." Natalia rested her back on the lockers "Well, when your boyfriend is apart of that crowd it's hard to avoid it. He's been friends with them for a while and I guess he won't stop. I'm not gonna force him to."

Samuel put his bag around his shoulders "I feel bad for you. Are you having lunch?" Natalia smiled "Yeah, I'll walk there with you." The two silently walked into the cafeteria.

Natalia looked at her boyfriend with the rest of the popular crowd and then turned to Samuel "It was nice getting to know you, Samu." He smiled and walked towards the table that held Nadia and Christian.

Natalia walked over to Tomás who was sitting next to Ander and she sat on his lap. Tomás wrapped his arms around Natalia's waist and kissed her on the cheek. He smiled up at her "Where were you?" Natalia looked down "Just talking to the new kid." Guzmán scoffed "Why?"

Natalia shrugged "He seems nice." Tomás frowned "Well, I don't like them." Natalia rolled her eyes "Well, I do. They've done nothing wrong." Tomás let go of Natalia's waist "If they're so nice why don't you go and sit over there with them." Natalia turned her body to face Tomás "I am not having this conversation with you right now."

Tomás shook his head "Whatever, Talia."Natalia groaned and stood up. Tomás looked at her "Where the hell are you going?" Natalia quickly walked out of the room. Tomás stood up and ran after her. Before Natalia could go outside, Tomás grabbed her arm and turned her around "What is your problem?"

Natalia yanked her arm out of Tomás' grip and crossed her arms "You and your friends are my problem. I'm sick and tired of you being a dick to the new students. They've done nothing wrong."

Tomás scoffed "You know what scholarship kids are like. They take advantage of the things we have that they can't afford. Remember what happened to Pablo. If you were Marina's true friend, you wouldn't have let her go out with him alone in the first place."

Tomás' words shot Natalia in the heart. She felt a tear fall down her face and she quickly wiped it away. "You're blaming me for what happened to Marina?" Tomás sighed and ran his hands through his hair. Natalia laughed and shook her head "¡Vete a la mierda!" Natalia opened the doors and walked out of the building.