8

Martín continued to walk around the class "

Martín continued to walk around the class "...Against feminine men and those who defended women's rights. Over time, those men who defended women's rights

...and mainly women, reappropriated that word, starting with the pioneer and suffragist Hubertine Auclert. Thus, this word lost its stigma over time...The phone, please."

Samuel looked up from his phone to see Martín with his hand out. "Sorry, it was my mom." Martín shook his head "This way we can share with the class...Give me the phone."

Samuel fought back "It was my mom." Martín grabbed Samuel's phone "You know the rules. I don't care. Give me the phone."

He stood next to Nadia and gave her the phone to read. "Marina doesn't have AIDS, asshole. It's HIV-" Natalia's eyes widened and Guzmán quickly stood up in anger "Stop reading that! What the hell?"

Guzmán rushed over to Samuel but Martín held him back "Guzmán, calm down. Enough, Guzmán." He took the phone off of Nadia and slammed it on Samuel's desk. Guzmán began to shout at Samuel.

Natalia grabbed Marina's hand under the desk and smiled slightly at her. Guzmán looked at Martín "How could you let her read it?"

Martín put his hands up in defence "First, show me some respect. Second, you know the rules. You can't use phones. I had the right to do that." Samuel frowned "A hell of a right you had." Martín looked at Samuel "Shut up."

Nadia looked at Marina with shock "Marina, do you have HIV?" Marina continued to look down and suddenly the entire class erupted in whispers.

Marina then slammed her hands on the table and stood up. The room went quiet. Guzmán put his hand out "Marina you don't have to say anything. Please, don't."

Marina looked at her brother "Guzmán. Stop. Please."

Marina looked down and addressed the room full of eager teenagers "I caught it a year and a half ago, more or less. And, well...I guess...this will be a trending topic for a while.

To make sure you're informed about what you'll be talking about, I'll tell you, really you don't need to worry about me. I take my medication.

I take tests every four months, and...the virus I have is undetectable in the blood, so...that means that you can't get infected."

Marina slowly sat down and Natalia reconnected their hands, squeezing it slightly.

Christian began to clap slowly but realised he was going to be the only one. Guzmán glared at him, causing him to stop. Martín smiled at Marina "Thanks, Marina. It takes a lot of courage to share this."

Martín looked over at Nadia "Don't you think so, Nadia." She made sure that she didn't look at Marina and spoke "I'd rather not comment. I don't want to hurt anyone."

Natalia rolled her eyes at Nadia's odd behaviour and soon after Martín continued on with the class.

Once class ended, Marina was the first to grab her things and leave. Natalia watched her storm out of the class and then she stood up and gathered her things.

"What an interesting lesson." Natalia turned around and rolled her eyes at Tomás' comment. "You don't know what you're talking about." Tomás scoffed "Don't be bitter with me now."

Natalia picked up her bag and ran her hand through her hair "I'm gonna head to lunch, okay?" Tomás nodded "Alright, I'll see you there." Natalia strutted out of the classroom.

***

"Hi mom!" Natalia heard no answer. She walked deeper into the house and heard a faint noise coming from the office.

Natalia walked up the stairs and heard two voices laughing with each other. She opened the door and saw her mother kissing Joaquin.

"What the hell is going on?" Paulina pushed herself off of Joaquin and looked at her daughter in shock "Sweetie. I was going to tell you."

Natalia dropped her bag and walked into the room "When were you going to tell me that you're hooking up with your client."

Paulina sat up from her desk "That's the thing. He wasn't actually my client. I just told you that so you wouldn't judge him too quickly."

Natalia looked at Joaquin who was buttoning his shirt.

Realisation hit Natalia like a brick and she scoffed "You know, I thought it was weird when you were talking about your niece to me.

And it just so happens that she sounds exactly like me. She has the same dreams, the same hobby. You're a piece of shit. I can't believe that you lied to me only to get me to like you."

Joaquin sighed "I know you're angry but you were gonna find out anyway." Natalia walked out of the room, lifting her middle finger on the way out. She walked into her room and loudly slammed the door.