21

"Happy birthday!" Natalia embraced Ander into a hug and he smiled "Thanks, Talia

"Happy birthday!" Natalia embraced Ander into a hug and he smiled "Thanks, Talia."

They pulled away and Natalia reached into her bag and pulled out a small box wrapped in red wrapping paper "This is for you."

Ander hesitantly took the present "Talia, you really didn't have to." She smiled "I know, but I did it anyway." Ander smirked "Thanks."

Ander neatly ripped the wrapping paper and placed it on the side. He opened the box and pulled out a luxurious, gold watch. Ander's eyes widened "Wow, Natalia. I love it!"

Natalia's smiled grew "I'm glad you like it. I saw it and thought that it would look perfect on you." Ander nodded "Yeah, it's great."

Ander put the box down and put on the watch. The two then walked into the school "So, are you gonna celebrate tonight?"

Ander sighed "I don't think so. I've got a lot of studying to do. Maybe another day, okay?"

Natalia watched as Ander's expression turned sad and she could sense that their was almost a look of guilt in his eyes "Is everything okay?"

Ander suddenly smiled "Yeah, I'm just tired. All of this studying is wearing me out." Natalia nodded understandingly "Are you sure you don't wanna go out and celebrate tonight?"

Ander sighed "I'm sure. It's not the end of the world. My dad is actually gonna visit tomorrow
and I'm sure that'll be entertaining."

Natalia scoffed "at least he remembers it. My dad hasn't gotten me a gift since I was eleven years old."

Ander looked at Natalia with pity "I'm sorry, Natalia. All I know is that I'll always remember your birthday."

Natalia laughed and Ander looked at her "I'll catch up with you later, okay?" Ander walked off leaving Natalia with a confused look on her face.

She shrugged it off and walked over to her locker. Natalia opened it and started to look through her books.

***

Natalia arrived home and threw her bag on the sofa. She sat down and huffed.

"Long day?" Joaquin walked into the room and sat next to her. Natalia shrugged "As always."

Joaquin chuckled lightly and Paulina walked into the room with a fake smile on her face "Hi, sweetie. Did you have a nice day?"

Natalia scoffed "Don't pretend like you care." Paulina rolled her eyes "Can you please talk like an adult for once?"

Natalia stood up and picked up her bag "Whatever, mom. I'm gonna go to my room. Don't come in unless you really have to."

Paulina shook her head "I don't think so. You can go upstairs and change because we're all going for a drink together."

Natalia looked at her mother in disbelief "What? Since when?" Joaquin stood up next to her "Your mother and I decided that we should start spending time as a family for once."

Natalia chuckled and looked at her mother "Sure. Can I go like this?" Paulina nodded "If you really want to. I know you take a while to get ready. I'm gonna put my shoes on and then we'll head out."

Natalia looked around the room "Is Savanna coming?" Paulina went to get her shoes "No, she's with her father."

Natalia laughed "So, this isn't about being a family. This is about you trying to get me to like this new thing you have going on, right?"

Paulina walked back into the room with her shoes on and sighed "We just wanna have a couple of drinks, is that such a crime, Natalia?"

Joaquin touched Paulina's arm "Let's go to the car, okay? Come on, Natalia."

She followed the two adults out of the house and into the car that was parked in their private driveway.

This was the first time that Natalia had been in Joaquin's car and it was incredible. He had a four-seater, red Ferarri.

Natalia carefully stepped into his car and sat down. Joaquin started the engine and the gates opened.

The drive wasn't long as the bar was quite local. Joaquin parked his car and Natalia quickly stepped out of it.

She looked up at her mother who was eager to get a drink and walked in with them.

The three sat down at a secluded table and Natalia rested against the chair.

Paulina looked at the drinks menu and then looked at her daughter "What do you want?"

Natalia shrugged "I'll have a gin and tonic." Joaquin scoffed "Very funny." Natalia frowned "Fine then. I'll just have a lemonade."

Paulina motioned for the waiter to come to their table. Joaquin order the drinks and the waiter walked away.

Paulina noticed the silence between the three and spoke up "So, how have your exams been going, Natalia."

Natalia looked up from the ground "Fine. Let's just say all my revising paid off, I guess."

Paulina smiled "Good girl. It's nice to know that you're finally focusing on your studies rather than partying every other night."

Natalia laughed "Who says I'm still not partying every other night." Paulina shrugged "Well, at least it's not affecting your grades."

The waiter then brought the drinks over to the three and handed them out. The waiter watched Natalia the whole time and Paulina noticed this "Is there a problem, waiter?"

The man quickly placed the last drink down and stood up "No, ma'am. I'll be leaving now."

The waiter walked back over to the bar and Natalia took a sip of her Lemonade.

The rest of the night was extremely awkward. It resulted in Paulina talking to Joaquin about Savanna the whole time.

Natalia knew that she wasn't loved as much as Savanna was. She was jealous but she didn't take it out on Savanna, she took it out on her mother.

Natalia was snapped out of her thoughts when Joaquin started speaking to her "Your mother told me about your friend that passed away. How are you coping?"

Natalia looked at Joaquin "I could be better. Maybe that's why I've been so checked out lately."

Paulina sighed "I told you that if you're not feeling great then I could get you a therapist."

Natalia ran her hands through her hair "There's nothing wrong with me, mom. I'm just grieving. It's normal to be upset and I'll get over it soon. Just give me some time."

Paulina nodded and looked at her watch "Would you look at the time. We've been here for over an hour. I think it's time we head home, don't you think?"

Joaquin nodded and the three stood up, finally ready to go back home.