Chapter Nine

Reese's P.O.V

          "Children, excuse me. Um, as you know, uh, this Sunday is family day here at Auradon Prep. And because your parents can't be here due to, uh, distance, we've arranged for a special treat." My blood runs cold. 

          "I don't see anything, nor do I hear."

          "Kids!"

          "Is it... is it... is..."

          "Press enter."

          "Can I please see a remote? Is this thing on? Ugh, It's broken. Ugh! I hate electronic equip... Oh!"

          "Evie, It's mommy. Oh! Look how beautiful. Oh, you know what they say, the poison apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

          "Don't you mean the weeds?"

          "Ooh! Who's the old bat?"

          "This is Fairy Godmother."

          "Still doing tricks with eggplants?"

          "I turned a pumpkin into a beautiful carriage."

          "You really couldn't give Cinderella till one A.M.? I mean, really. What, the hamsters had to be back on their little wheels? -"

          "They were mice! They were not... they were mice. They were not..."

          "Thank you so much. Thank you."

          "They were mice."

          "Hi, mom." My mom's no where in sight.

          "Mal! I m-m-miss you."

          "You children are never far from our thoughts."

          "I got it."

          "How long must mommy wait to see you?"

          "Um, there's a big coronation coming up. I think sometime probably after... that."

          "When?"

          "Friday, 10 A.M."

          "You sure I can't see you before that? I don't know what I'll do If I don't get my hands on that magic wan... you... you little nugget that I love so much."

          "Yes, I completely understand, mother."

          "Carlos, girl, are those dogs? Oh, yes, yes, baby, I do understand. It would make the perfect size for earmuffs. ANd th other a perfect pair of gloves. 

          "He's the perfect size for a pet."

          "Oh!"

          "This dog loves me, and I love him. And fyi, your dog is stuffed!"

          "Oh!"

          "So give it a rest!"

          "Oh-ho! Burn!"

          "Oh! Why don't you go sell a toaster, you two-bit salesman!"

          "People who talk to stuffed animals shouldn't throw stones."

          "Oh, well, people who sell toasters shouldn't use mixed metaphors. Enough!" Soon they're all arguing.

          "I'm so sorry." Jay turns off the monitor.

          "She wasn't even there." I walk back to our dorm. "What's wrong with me, Rose?"

          "There is nothing wrong with you." Evie wipes away the tears. "You are incredible, beautiful, smart, and kind."

          "Thank you E." We go to the boy's dorm.

          "Okay, we all know what this looks like. So it'll be up on the dais under the beast's spell jar, and we'll be coming in from here. I will be in the very front. You all will be up in the balcony. Okay. Carlos?"

          "Okay, so I'll find our limo, so we can break the barrier, and, uh, get back on the island with the wand."

          "Perfect. Evie?"

          "Yeah?"

          "You will use this to take out the driver. Two sprays and he'll be out like a light. Reese I want you to stay close to Jay." I nod.

          "Okay. M? You want to break Ben's love spell?"

          "Yeah. You know, for after. I don't... I've just been thinking, you know, when the villains finally do invade Auradon, and begin to loot and kick everyone out of their castles and imprison their leaders and destroy all that is good and beautiful, Ben still being in love with me just seems a little extra... cruel."

          "M?"

Third Person's P.O.V

          No one can sleep that night. Evie pulls out her test and looks at it. Carlos rolls over to face Dude. Jay looks at the tourney trophy. Resse stares at the flower crown from the date.

A million thoughts in my head
Should I let my heart keep listening?
I know It's time to say good-bye
So hard to let go

          A single tear falls in to the cookie batter.