chapter twenty five.

Taylor never really thought about the pressure she always felt, even in her own house. There was always that feeling, that worry in the back of her head that she was being watched. She couldn't even begin to describe the relief in being somewhere that no one knew about. She had the best sleep she had in weeks, considering that she'd been awake with Thea. There was something different about being awake, looking out at the view.
"Do you really think this is a good idea?" She asked Joe as she tied up her hair. They'd been in New Zealand for five days now, and last night, Taylor had decided that they should walk to the little tea room. "It could go so badly."
"If you really don't want to go, we don't have to. There's hot chocolate here," Joe came into her view, putting on a sweatshirt. "We could always walk there, and decide when we get there. If it looks too busy, then we can just turn around and come right back home."
Taylor nodded. They'd spent yesterday taking photos in a near by forest for her new album cover. While they were back in America for the trial, Taylor had arranged for them to film the Willow music video. They were only going to be in America for a few days, before they were getting on a plane and coming back here. Taylor had booked the place for three months, and that's where she wanted to be. She didn't want to have to face the cameras after the trial.
"What if people see us?" Taylor asked, as she started to put on her shoes.
"We'll both have hats and sunglasses on. No one knows that we're here, so no one will be expecting to see us. And if they do, then we will ask them politely not to tell people." Joe began to get Thea's bag ready, just in case. "It's going to be okay." He paused, leaning over and kissing Taylor's head. "We can do this."
Going out for a walk like this, leaving their house and walking to get coffee with Thea, it was something that Taylor had always wanted to do. She always wanted to go on lots of walks with her children, get them out in the air and see the beautiful things in nature. She knew that she probably wouldn't get this chance again. Sometimes, she thought, you've just got to be brave.

The sun was high in the sky, as they began walking down the driveway. Taylor felt anxious that there would be camera's, the moment they got to the gate, and breathed a sigh of relief when she didn't see any. She didn't hear the little click, didn't even hear another person.
"Maybe the world really did end," She said to Joe with a smile. She'd finally looked at her phone, at her fans reaction to all of this. They were so excited - couldn't believe that she'd managed to keep this a secret the entire time. She couldn't believe how much love there was towards Thea already, even though they didn't know her name, or what she looked like. Taylor had really thought that her fans would be so angry with her for not telling them, especially when they'd realised that this was why she'd had to cancel the tour. But they weren't... and she just felt so relieved that they just wanted her to be happy.
"It wouldn't surprise me if it did," Joe grinned. "And if it did, then we won't need to worry about seeing anyone, will we?" He nudged her softly. "I think that this is one of the best ideas we've ever had."
"I don't know," Taylor smiled, "I can think of a few. Deciding to have Thea, for one... deciding to follow that golden string, for another... and don't get me started on the idea of writing songs together." She laughed. She felt her anxiety fade away as the further they got without seeing another soul. It was beautiful, the little road that lead into the tiny town. The coffee shop was empty.
"Do you want to? We can turn around and leave," Joe asked. "That's okay too."
"Let's do this," Taylor nodded. "How often are we ever going to get to do this? Let's do it." She was proud of herself for making that decision. Once upon a time, she'd have never been able to make that choice.
Joe smiled. "Do you want to sit outside? I can go in and order, if you want to sit down with Thea."
Taylor nodded. "Thank you."
"I'm proud of you," Joe rested a hand on her back, and she grinned. "I'll see you soon."

Taylor went and sat in the sun. There was a beautiful garden outside, filled with lavender, wisteria, roses and hydrangeas. She loved this kind of garden. Her heart was beating hard, and she was worried that someone would see her. Someone would see her and know, and then all the cameras would know, too.
Thea was asleep in the pram, which was covered with a thin muslin blanket. It had tiny little suns on it, and was perfect for keeping her out of the sun. It also worked to protect her if any cameras found her. She wouldn't be able to keep them away forever, and eventually there would be a time where they couldn't keep her hidden anymore, but Taylor wanted to wait.
She peeked through, smiling at her daughter.
"The lady who owns this is so lovely," Joe said as he sat down in front of her. "She complemented my accent."
"Of course she did! I love your voice," Taylor smiled. She felt so happy here, felt so normal. "Thea is sound asleep. Were there many people inside?" She asked as Joe had a quick look at Thea with a smile.
"Just an older couple who were talking about their kids growing up and moving to the city." Joe answered with a smile. "You look so beautiful today, love."
Taylor blushed. "Thank you. You look great today too."
"Do you have to write a statement?" Joe asked her, and she nodded. She'd gotten over her fear of talking about it, or even thinking about it. In three weeks, she'd be sitting in that courtroom. In three weeks, she'd be walking out of that room, and she'd be getting on that plane to come back here, to their little oasis they'd found. In three weeks, she'd be free.
"I know what I'm going to say... I just haven't written it down yet." She sighed. "I think that it's going to be the kind of thing that I need to rewrite a hundred times... and even then it still won't be like I want it." She rested her head on the back of her hand. "I love you. Thank you for doing this with me."
"Of course. I'll always be here." Joe reached out and stroked her hand. She smiled. She loved him more than she ever thought it was possible to love someone.
"You two found yourselves the best seat in the entire country!" A voice said from behind them, and Taylor turned around, grinning. An older lady was walking over with their drinks. "There's nothing better than sitting here in the sun with a nice drink."
"You are right," Joe laughed. "This place is beautiful."
"It took my husband and I thirty years to get it looking like this - it was a right mess when we found it, but with a little bit of work, I think it worked out just fine." The woman said as she put the drinks down on the table. "Let me know if there's anything else I can get you both!"
"Thank you," Taylor smiled. She loved that she wasn't recognised, loved that she was out without security for the first time in forever. She loved that they were here, in this beautiful place, alone.
"Enjoy," The woman grinned before heading back inside.
The hot chocolate was delicious - not as good as Joe's, but a close second, and Taylor thought that they might just have to come back here, maybe it might have to become a regular thing. It would be so lovely to wake up and walk down here for a hot drink.