chapter thirty one ; epilogue

"Is this why Rosa kept me there for two hours?" Taylor asked with tears in her eyes. Joe put Thea down on the blanket he'd laid out with a few of her toys, and took Taylor's hands in his. This was all too much - it was just all too beautiful and she thought that she was going to melt.
Joe nodded, and Taylor could see tears in his own eyes. He cupped her cheeks, wiping away her tears with his thumbs.
"Taylor," he started, and she felt herself start to cry. "I love you to the moon and to Saturn, to infinity and further." He leaned in and kissed her cheek, before pulling away again. "I love all of your broken stars. All of you. Even the parts you don't like. You bring out the best in me. You're my best friend, my soulmate. You're the one at the end of my golden thread; the one I want to spend the rest of my life with." He kissed her other cheek, kissed her softly. "I always knew that you were the one for me. It's always been you. Since the moment I first saw you that night, the moment I saw your bleached hair and the way you smiled at everyone you saw - or how at the end of the night... you'd turned British because you'd drunk too much alcohol." He kissed her nose. "I knew it the second that you convinced me to buy a Christmas tree and I decorated it. I hadn't had a Christmas tree in years. I knew it the moment that I got to wake up beside you and watch you sleep. The moment where you held my head in your lap because I was feeling blue," he kissed her forehead, and Taylor couldn't even try to stop the tears. "And you told me that it was okay to feel like that... that it didn't make me weak. You just told me that you were here for me. You told me that you'd sit there with me until I was feeling golden again. And you did just that. We sat there for four hours, love. And you didn't let go, you played with my hair as you hummed to me. You didn't let go, not even once." He kissed her temple. Taylor was smiling, yet she could barely so Joe through her tears. "We found daylight together, Taylor. And I know, that if there is one person in the entire world that I would want to have by my side if darkness descends... it's you. So," Joe said, pausing, letting go of Taylor's hands. He pulled out a tiny black box, and got down on one knee. "Taylor, my love, my daylight, will you marry me?"
Taylor couldn't speak at first, couldn't even begin to process what he'd just asked her. She heard herself cry out in happiness as she flung her arms around his neck, nodding. "Yes," she managed to say. "Yes, yes, yes!" She kissed him, as he took her hand.
"I hope that you like it," Joe murmured as he smiled through his tears. "I spent so long trying to find the right one... and I finally settled on this one." He told her as he slid it onto her finger.
It was so beautiful. It was a gold ring, and in the middle of it, was a beautiful yellow diamond. It looked exactly like...
"Daylight," Taylor said through her tears as she helped Joe stand up so she could wrap her arms around him. "It's golden... exactly like daylight."

That night, Taylor sat down to finish off one of the songs she'd been working on for Evermore. She'd finally let him come in, with Thea holding onto a rattle, playing with it gently in his arms.
"I think I have finally finished it," Taylor smiled. "I'll let you hear it now," she smiled as Joe sat down beside her.
"I've been waiting a long time for this one, I'm happy that I finally get to hear it... and not have to be upstairs with headphones on," Joe grinned, leaning over and kissing Taylor's temple. Thea gurgled happily in his arms.
Taylor laughed, before she started to sing.

"Fatefully
I tried to pick my battles 'til the battle picked me
Misery
Like the war of words I shouted in my sleep
And you passed right by
I was in the alley, surrounded on all sides
The knife cuts both ways
If the shoe fits, walk in it 'til your high heels break
And I fell from the pedestal
Right down the rabbit hole
Long story short, it was a bad time
Pushed from the precipice
Clung to the nearest lips
Long story short, it was the wrong guy
Now I'm all about you
I'm all about you, ah
Yeah, yeah
I'm all about you, ah
Yeah, yeah

Actually
I always felt I must look better in the rear view
Missing me
At the golden gates they once held the keys to
When I dropped my sword
I threw it in the bushes and knocked on your door
And we live in peace
But if someone comes at us
This time, I'm ready
'Cause I fell from the pedestal
Right down the rabbit hole
Long story short, it was a bad time
Pushed from the precipice
Clung to the nearest lips
Long story short, it was the wrong guy
Now I'm all about you
I'm all about you, ah
Yeah, yeah
I'm all about you

No more keepin' score now
I just keep you warm
No more tug of war now
I just know there's more
No more keepin' score now
I just keep you warm
And my waves meet your shore
Ever and evermore

Past me
I wanna tell you not to get lost in these petty things
Your nemeses
Will defeat themselves before you get the chance to swing..."

Taylor paused, looking over at him.
"I love you," she whispered with a smile before she continued to sing.

"And he's passing by
Rare as the glimmer of a comet in the sky
And he feels like home
If the shoe fits, walk in it everywhere you go
And I fell from the pedestal
Right down the rabbit hole
Long story short, it was a bad time
Pushed from the precipice
Climbed right back up the cliff
Long story short, I survived
Now I'm all about you
I'm all about you, ah
I'm all about you
I'm all about you, ah
Yeah, yeah
I'm all about you
Yeah, yeah
I'm all about you."

Taylor paused for a moment before she sang the final lines of her song. Because it was true, because she meant every word. Because she'd done it. Against all odds. She was here, sitting at the piano, with her fiancé, her daughter in his arms, and she'd done it. She'd made it through the darkness, made it into the daylight. And she was never going to give that up for anything.

"Long story short, it was a bad time
Long story short, I survived."

-

the end.

(i'm not even going to lie, writing this chapter brought literal tears to my eyes)

book three - perpetual darkness and stolen sequin smiles - is published! this book is going back in time, to before taylor and joe met each other at the cafe, before they followed that golden string. this book will focus a lot more on their lives and the darkness before they found daylight within each other.

I am so excited to write it and see what we discover about joe, about why he felt he needed to play the piano until his fingers bleed, or exactly how trapped taylor felt, or how the two of them got through...

thank you all so much for coming on this journey with me, you are all so incredible and so kind to me! I never thought that my writing deserved to be read by all of you lovely people, I always doubted my abilities... stupid high school English teachers...
I never thought that you guys would like it as much as you do, and I love writing it! I'll hopefully see you in book three! ❤️

please remember to be kind to yourself!