chapter twenty six.

Taylor was so excited to see Blake. She hadn't seen her friend in months, and she couldn't wait to talk babies with her. It had all worked out so perfectly, the fact that they were reasonably close together at the same time. Taylor had also been busy buying enough groceries to feed them all, as well as presents for the girls. She'd felt guilty that she hadn't brought anything for Blake when she'd first met Betty, and now she finally had the time to organise it.

They'd gone for a walk to the coffee shop again, and this time Taylor had the courage to actually go inside. Of course, she was still protected by her hat and sunglasses, but Joe had assured her the place was quiet. She stood at the counter, talking to that lovely woman, who's name was actually Rosa.
"How are the two of you finding New Zealand?" She asked as she made their drinks.
"It's beautiful," Taylor answered. "I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it." She loved being able to do this. To get that little taste of a life she could have had. "But I definitely agree that your garden is the best part of it all."
Rosa gave Taylor a beaming smile. "Have you traveled a lot? I haven't left this little town," she laughed. "I wouldn't know if there was anything bigger or better."
"Believe me," Joe said as he bent over to look at Thea, "This place is as good as it gets."
"Oh - that just means so much to me! The business has been dying a little since a McDonalds moved into town." She shook her head. "I got such a shock when you walked in, I haven't had any new customers in months."
Taylor's heart skipped a beat when she heard this. This place was so beautiful - what, with its beautiful veranda that went all the way around the house, with the ivy that danced up the willow tree which hung over the river. This place was so serene, so beautiful. She didn't know how people could choose McDonald's over this little slice of peace.
"I'm sorry to hear that," Taylor sighed. "Well, there'll be a few more new faces tomorrow - our friends are coming to stay."
"Oh, I just love meeting all of my customers." The woman smiled. "What were your names again?"
"William," Joe said quickly, without even a second thought. She smiled at how easily it rolled off his tongue. Of course, she felt bad lying, but they had to keep this little oasis to themselves.
"I'm Becky." Taylor grinned, glad that she'd always been able to hide things with a smile.
"Your baby must be such a good wee thing, I haven't heard it cry once!"
"Oh, she is," Taylor smiled. "She's perfect."
"I bet that she's got a beautiful name," Rosa smiled as she handed Joe his drink and began making Taylor's hot chocolate. "I'm sorry if you feel like I'm asking too many questions - it's just nice to talk to people."
"Her name is Dorothea." Taylor smiled. It was close enough to he name, without giving it away. "And don't apologise! How did you get your garden to look like this? It's just so beautiful."
Rosa looked out the window and smiled - the sort of soft smile you give when you're remembering one of the happiest moments of your life. "Before Fred passed away... ten years ago... it was his goal to own a little tearoom on the outskirts of town, to have a garden out the back, with a blooming garden. With flowers that bloomed in both summer and winter, so that there'd never be a time where it wasn't alive." Taylor loved her words, recalled the sparkle in Rosa's eyes as she talked about something she loved. "He didn't get it finished before he died. He had gotten the soil, everything was ready. But then he was gone and the flowers weren't going to plant themselves." She gave a sad smile. "So, one morning, I got up at sunrise and planted them all. I didn't stop until they were all planted in the ground, until it was all looking just the way he would have wanted. I wish that he could be here to see it." The last words were barely even a whisper.
Taylor reached over and took her hand as she handed her the drink. "He can definitely see it." She paused, smiling. "He's there every single time the sun rises above the garden... he's there every time the moonlight dances across the leaves... every time the rain comes and every time you look out there. He's there," she told her softly. "In every one of those roses, each lavender, each hydrangea. He's there, and he won't ever go away."
Rosa's lip was trembling, as she held onto Taylor's hand. "You really think so?"
"I know so." Taylor answered as Rosa wiped away a tear.
"Thank you," she told Taylor, her hand firmly. "Thank you, thank you, thank you." Taylor's heart felt warm. She'd never expected to have a conversation like this with a woman who didn't even know her true name. Rosa took a deep breath. "Right. I'd better let the two of you get back to your lives. That's enough sadness for today." She smiled. She had one of those timeless smiles, one of those smiles where you could see the entire world light up, one that was so captivating.
"We'll see you tomorrow," Joe grinned. "And there'll be some new faces for you to see."
Taylor knew, she just knew that she couldn't leave here without giving this woman something. She couldn't leave New Zealand knowing that this woman was going to lose the place to a McDonald's. That didn't sit right with her. It just didn't seem right that a place like this, a beautiful home, garden and memory would fade into nothing. "Rosa?" Taylor turned around as they were walking out the door.
"Yes?"
"How much money do you think you'd need to keep this place up and running?" She asked nonchalantly.
Rosa sighed. "More than it's worth..."
"No - that's not true at all." Taylor walked back in. "How much?"
Rosa rested a hand on Taylor's arm. "You don't need to be bothering with my problems. I'll get by."
Taylor smiled. "Would $20,000 do? This place is a treasure, Rosa. In more ways than I could even begin to tell you."
Rosa gave her a smile, before looking around and checking to see that they were alone. "Oh, you don't need to tell me, Taylor." She paused, smiling. "Your secret is safe with me."
Taylor smiled. "I'm sorry we didn't tell you sooner."
"I know why you didn't," Rosa sighed. "Not just anyone who would come in here and say such beautiful things about my husband... but I want you to know, that your secret really is safe with me. I just can't believe what an honour it is for you to be here... in my shop. I hope that you've been able to get away from all of that drama that's going on back home." Rosa murmured, and Taylor sighed.
"We just needed to get away from it all. It was literally something that was decided in an hour. And it was such a good decision - but I'm going to help you. Please let me - this place is one of those rarities that you only get to come across by chance. Please let me help. It's really the least I could do - considering that you're just about the only person who knows that we're here." Taylor grinned. "And we will definitely be coming back - I can assure you. It really is a little bit of paradise."
"You really don't... I can't ask you to help,"
"You're not asking. I'm telling you, I want to help. Please let me? Just give me a price and I'll sort it out!" Taylor smiled. "Please?"
"I'm sure there's more important things-"
"Rosa, let me help!"
Taylor managed to convince Rosa to let her help, and she felt so happy.
She wanted to do this, didn't want her to have to give up on her dreams. She'd get the money to her as soon as possible.