14

Micaela laughed behind me, chasing me through the field. The grass was wet with morning dew, sticking to my legs. "Run, Maisie," she called. "They are catching up."

Our brothers, Jaime and Cameron, were running behind her. I reached the woods, grabbing my sister's hand. "Come on," I said and tugged her through the trees.

We played hide and seek within these woods most days. A perfect playground. Micaela and I zigzagged around oak trees, hopping over fallen branches and running from our brothers.

"I know a good hiding place," my sister whispered, taking the lead. We slowed and ducked a few broken branches. We entered a small, enclosed hole of an oak tree, a small burrow that deer would use for shelter in the colder weather.

"They'll never find us."

I gave Micaela a glance of uncertainty. Our brothers were wise, always thinking outside the box. We had to if we wanted to stay out of trouble. Or to avoid getting caught when we might get in trouble. We huddled on the hard, dirty ground of the tree, leaning against the bark.

"You can run, but you can't hide," my brothers shouted. "We'll find you!"

I woke up gasping for air, cold sweat dripping down my forehead. You can run, but you can't hide. Those words my brothers used as children. When we were playing in those woods, hiding from each other. I knew that the person leaving me all these hints, stalking me, wasn't my brothers doing. It was my father.

He had heard my siblings and me playing numerous times, but I knew at least once he had listened to those words. We had screamed those words like a mantra, but now they haunted me.

This was just some sick game my father was playing. And so far, he was winning. I pushed the covers off of my legs, hoisting myself up.

The woods. The words meant nothing significant. They were a clue. I wanted answers about my sister, Micaela, and the woods behind my childhood home was hopefully where I'd find them. First, I had to tell Cameron about the man's words, the photograph, and the sickening dread I felt in my heart.

***

"Maisie, you need to calm down," my brother said, side-glancing at me as he washed the dishes. "You're not making sense."

"You're not listening." I snapped, glaring at him. "Someone gave me a photo. Put it in my locker. I want to go to the house."

He tilted his head, frowning. "You want to go to the house because someone gave you a photo?"

"Yes, because it has the same words written on the back as that man said at the park. See," I said, holding out the photograph and turning it. "Isn't that weird?"

"I mean, sure, but-"

"We need to go to the house."

"No. It's across town," he said, shaking his head. "Why do you want to go so bad?"

"I have a feeling, please," I pleaded. "There's something about it that I remember. Something I remember about Micaela."

"Why didn't you tell me about this earlier? The photograph, fuck," he hissed, running a hand through his hair. "Maisie, you can't keep shit like that from me."

"I'm telling you now," I cried, digging my fingernails into my palms to keep calm. "I'm sorry, okay? You worry too much as it is now."

"Well, you give me plenty of reasons, too, apparently," he said, his shoulders slouching in defeat.

"Take me to the house, please, Cam. I need to know. I won't be able to sleep, not knowing."

Cameron wiped his hands dry, putting his hands on my shoulder, a pained expression crossing his face at the mention of our sister. "Maisie, I am not taking you to that wretched house tonight based on a feeling. This isn't up for discussion."