4

I let the cold water run down my back and rested my forehead on the tile. On the streets, showers were a luxury. I had gone two weeks without one. Despite the chaos and tension, I'd been thankful for a shower.

Stepping out onto the cold tiles, I dried my hair with a towel. I studied the bruises and scars on my shoulder and back in the mirror behind the door. They were disgusting. I hated them.

I slipped into a clean pair of jeans and a plaid shirt, courtesy of Isobel. She had even supplied the elastics to tie my thick, curly hair.

"Just breath, Maisie," I muttered to myself, finishing buttoning my shirt and stepping out into the hallway. Ashton snored on the couch, arms covering his face. Cameron and Sebastian were in the kitchen, their laughs echoing around the apartment. I hesitated before joining them, anxious and not knowing what would happen next.

They were caring and protective, and I didn't understand why.

I wasn't allowed to go outside without one of them.

Not even to take Hazel.

They couldn't tell me what to do. I've been on my own for almost two years. So, who the hell did they think they were to try?

"There's sleeping beauty," Sebastian said, grinning, as I scuffed my feet against the hardwood floor. He stood at the stove, facing Cameron, who patted the stool next to him.

He pushed an iPhone 7 box across the counter. "New phone, as promised," he said, smiling. "I've added all our numbers."

I stared at it, climbing onto the stool. I want my old phone. It would have to do. Sebastian placed a plate of eggs and bacon in front of me, the sweet smell making my stomach gurgle.

"Thank you," I mumbled.

Ashton climbed onto the stool beside me, stealing a piece of bacon from my plate. Sebastian swatted his hand with the spatula, and he yelped, pulling back. "Fucking hell, Seb," he muttered, sucking in a breath.

Sebastian pointed the spatula at him. "Keep your grubby hands off her plate," he warned.

I smiled in my twin's direction.

Cameron shifted to look at me. "How'd you sleep?"

I shrugged. "Fine," I lied. I tossed and turned all night.

Ashton snorted. "Liar."

"Shut up," I snapped.

"Enough," Cameron mumbled, sipping on his coffee. "Don't argue."

"Right, well, I have to get to class," my twin mumbled, not seeming enthusiastic. He gathered his phone and charger. "I will see you later, okay, Maisie?"

I nodded, and he glanced over me with worry. Worry, like he might not see me when he got home. "I won't run," I whispered, squeezing his hand. "I promise."

"You better not," he said, narrowing his eyes. He began to leave the apartment, Cameron calling out questions as he walked away. I turned to my brother the second the door shut.

"Why are you doing this? Why find me after two years?" I asked, seeing no point in beating around the bush. These were only two of many questions that burned in my mind since they dragged me back to Los Angeles.

My brothers made it clear they didn't find me because of our father, but they had to have a reason beyond that, right? I doubted our father had forgotten what I had done to him, but I don't think he sent my brothers to do his dirty work.

They would have turned me over to him by now.

Jaime and Cameron seemed genuine.

Nevertheless, he would come for me eventually. I knew it.