51

Back to Maisie. Enjoy.

***

"Evie, what the hell are you doing?" I hissed, shivering under the throw blanket. "Close the damn doors."

"Calm your grumpy ass," she called from the back door. "Come here, this is cute."

I sighed, annoyed, and went to see what the fuss was about. On the porch step, a squirrel was scrambling to find pieces of Evie's blueberry muffin, munching down.

Milo appeared out of no where, leaning between Evie and I. "She's cute, right? We call her Gladice."

Evie laughed. "You guys named her?" She chucked another piece of muffin for the squirrel and I leaned back, uninterested.

"Don't feed the squirrel," Denver called, walking into the kitchen. "You feed it once and then it never leaves."

"How was your day, kiddo?" He asked, grabbing a mug from the cupboard.

I stepped back from the door. "Good. I beat Milo and Chance at rummy. They're sore losers, did you know that?"

"Am not!" Milo yelled, laughing.

Denver snorted, making himself a coffee. "They're both competitive, that's why they suit each other so well."

"Don't gossip about us!" Milo called, groaning. He pulled back, bringing Evie with him and shut the door. "You cheated Maisie."

Denver and I shared a look. "Okay, Milo. Whatever helps you sleep at night," I said, making Denver laugh.

"We're going skating tonight," Chance announced, waltzing into the living room. "Maisie, I hope you know how to skate."

"I know the bare minimum."

"And by bare minimum, she means she knows how to stand. It'll be an ass falling session for her," Evie said, collapsing into the lazy boy with a bowl of ice cream. Chance smirked, glancing down.

I huffed. "When are Cameron and Sebastian arriving?" I asked, ignoring the amused gleam in my stepbrothers eyes. Jaime and eden had arrived an hour ago. They said they would be home before I woke up ... yet, they aren't here. What if something went wrong? What if something happened? Oh God.

"Sebastian just sent me a text," Chance said, typing on his phone. Like Sebastian knew I what I was worrying about despite being hundreds of miles away. "They'll be here with the next hour." Good, I had become anxious. What if they got hurt? What if something happened and we wouldn't know?

They're okay, they're okay, they're okay.

Another buzz. "Sebastian wants to know why you haven't been answering his or Cameron's call or texts," he said, glancing up at me. "Where is your phone?"

Oops.

"It's upstairs. I don't use it much." I shrugged. Mom sauntered from down the hall, unknowingly saving from and unwanted lecture. Cameron didn't care how much I used my phone, as long as I used it appropriately. He meant no accounts on Tinder or Bumble.

"Mom, are you coming ice skating?" I asked.

"Yes, but I'll be mostly handing out hot chocolate and treats," she said, smiling. "My bones are brittle, I'd break my ass if I feel on it."