1

In and out ... in and out, I chanted in my head, entering through the mall's automatic doors.

I needed to stay out of the public, but my phone charger broke, and I needed a new one. I shuffled into the electronic store, pulling my hood up, careful not to look directly into any cameras.

Once I had picked the right one, I stood in the lineup, ignoring the stares. I knew I looked suspicious, but I couldn't help but focus on something else - the two kids, a boy and a girl, running around a woman I assumed was their mother.

Her laughter caught my attention, contagious and innocent.

The little girl with fiery red hair and a yellow dress whirled down the aisle. "Mommy, mommy," she screeched, roaring with laughter, "help me, he's gonna tickle me."

I watched the little boy, a few years older with raven black hair, chase her around their mother. "Will you two behave? Hey, leave your sister alone," the woman said, grumbling.

I smiled at them and turned away. They reminded me of my childhood, me and my - no, don't think about it. Don't think about them. I pushed the memory back down; it was too painful to remember. I plucked a phone charger off the rack, stepped around a few people, and moved to the checkout. My hands trembled, waiting in line, and I cautiously glanced around.

On my way to the cash, someone bumped into me, making me stumble. "I'm sorry," a deep voice said, their hands gripping my underarms to keep me upright.

I looked up and met the man's eyes, which were kind and apologetic. Heart pounding, I nodded, tugging my arm from his grasp and stepped back. "No problem," I muttered.

"You okay?" Run, I thought. He's trying too hard. "I've got to learn to pay more attention to where I'm walking," he said, chuckling.

"All good," I said and stepped around him. Something didn't feel right. My gut clenched, instinct telling me to go, to get as far away as possible. I ran out of the mall, leaving the man behind, but I heard him murmur something to no one in particular.

Reaching the automatic doors, I sprinted down the cement stairs toward the parking lot. It was pouring, and dark storm clouds were overhead. I pulled my hood up, jogging down the sidewalk.

Thunder rumbled in the distance, a sign I needed to get to shelter for the night. More importantly, I needed to get out of sight. About a block from the mall, I turned down Argyle Street, entering a neighbourhood of apartment buildings and townhouses.

This part of Chicago was rundown.

I shouldered past a few kids, rap blasting from their phones. They made a disgusting joke and shoved a smaller kid into the street. Idiots. I would have taught them a lesson, but I didn't have time.

Turning another street, I glanced over my shoulder. My heart plummeted to the pit of my stomach. A black van crept along the road behind me. I squinted, noticing two men in the front seats. "Dammit."

More tires crunched against the pavement, and my head whipped back around. A black Mercedes flew down the road, surrounding me. Tires squealed behind me, a door slammed, and people shouted around me. I broke into an entire outrun, darting down an alley between an apartment building and a townhouse, heart pounding in my ears.

Crossing the next street, a car almost took me out, the driver honking their horn. I kept going; I had to. The Mercedes sped down the road, gunning straight for me.

"Stop, Maisie," someone shouted behind me. A male voice, one I recognized. I swore under my breath and picked up the pace.

How did they find me so fast?