24

warning: this chapter has intrusive thoughts.

Ashton's infectious laughter made me grin, and I nuzzled into his side. We were watching Back to the Future Pt. II.

I hadn't celebrated my birthday in years. No need to celebrate another year of living a life I didn't want to live. The last birthday I liked to remember was my eleventh. My mom was still alive, and she let Ashton and I pick out a puppy, Hazel.

"I think it's time for presents," Isobel announced when the credits rolled. She scrambled up, heading for the pile of birthday presents in front of the coffee table. "Maisie, this is from me."

She held out a blue and silver gift bag, and I took it, smiling. "You didn't have to get me anything." Cameron watched with a small smile on his lips.

"Shut up and open it," Izzy said, and I did. Under silver tissue paper, there were several velvet scrunchies, a $40 Starbucks gift card, a new teal phone case, some vanilla hand lotion, and a bunch of things I don't have.

"Thanks, Izzy, I needed these, y'know," I said, grateful. Ashton opened his, too, pulling out an Xbox game.

Eden and Jaime handed me a pink and silver wrapped gift. I took it, grunting at the heaviness. "Jaime actually picked it out," Eden said, "and I think you'll love it."

Jaime grinned with pride. I ripped it open and felt the softness of a grey throw blanket. It was a weighted blanket, one that people used for anxiety. "Thank you, this is thoughtful."

"Weighted blankets work to create pressure on the body which can increase the release of serotonin in the brain and helps to create a sense of calm and well-being," Sebastian stated, our very own encyclopedia of mental health.

Cameron chuckled, kissing his boyfriend's cheek. Ashton received his present from our oldest brother and Eden, unwrapping a Nike shoe box. "You said I had too many shoes," Ashton said, and Evie and I shared an eye roll. My brother did have too many shoes. He pulled out a pair of red Air Force 1 Nikes.

"My turn," Harley stated, pushing Isobel out of his way. She kicked him in the ass. I bit back a smile. "Maisie, happy birthday."

I opened the wooden box, surprised to see a butterfly knife. "Wow."

"I know we took yours when we found you, so I figured you would like a new one," he said and I flipped it open, the blade nearly slicing off my finger. Harley laughed as Cameron reached over and swiped the knife from my hand.

"You're gonna hurt yourself," he muttered, closing it.

I scoffed. "I love it, Harley."

Harley held out a dark green gift bag to Ashton. "It's not much, Ashy, but I hope you like it." My twin smiled, reaching past me and taking it, prying it open.

He grinned, pulling out a drone. "Shit. This is the best. Thanks, man. I can't wait to send this out to the beach and record all the hot women in swimsuits -"

"If I catch you doing anything inappropriate with that thing," Eden warned, "I will shove it up your ass."

"And I won't stop her," Cameron declared. Ashton muttered something under his breath. I glanced around the room, grateful and happy.

"Thank you for the day. It's been really great. Best birthday I've had in a long while."

"You are welcome, baby," Sebastian said, standing up and stretching. "We wouldn't have it anyway."  He hugged me, kissing my forehead before heading into the kitchen.

Evie leaped up and gripped my forearm. She practically dragged me down the hall and into my room. "We need a girl's day. Next weekend. You in?"

"No boys?"