7

Mr. Owen was a dick.

Short-tempered and condescending, his bald head and forgetfulness should have been a sign to retire years ago.

Kate didn't help. In fact, she made it worse by talking my ear off. She talked mostly about Ashton and even offered a small, insincere apology for her early comment. I tapped my m2pencil on the page, staring straight ahead at the chalkboard.

More than once, I had about gathering my backpack and bolting. Then I thought about Cameron and how much he wanted me to be here. I thought about Ashton. Each time we parted ways, he gave me a look of uncertainty. As if he didn't know whether he'd ever see me again. I didn't want to be here in this school, but my family was trying. So, I would try too. That didn't mean I'd talk about everything with him, but I would stay for now.

The shrill ring of the bell pierced my ears. The others began to stand, Mr. Owen throwing his hand up to give up. No one was listening, me included.

I jumped out of the uncomfortable plastic chair, shrugging on my backpack. I texted Ash, leaving the classroom.

Fingers wrapped around my elbow. "So, will you ask him?" Kate asked, staring at me.

I looked at her, confused. "What?"

"Will you ask him about my party this weekend? Tell him to come?"

No.

I forced a smile. "Sure."

She brightened. "Fantastic. Bye, Marley!"

What a bitch.

She skipped away from the classroom. I hurried into the hall, bumping into my twin. "Hey, just the person I was looking for." He grinned, glancing behind him to make sure Kate was gone. Or I assumed.

I shook my head at his antics. Ashton and I walked into the cafeteria together. A few people stared at us, but most kept to themselves. We headed to the back, where Evie, Colin, and Noel sat at a round table.

They were in the middle of an argument, and we were almost there when Kate waved her hand, catching both of our attention. Ash groaned beside me, and I felt he didn't want anything to do with her. It made me wonder what happened between them.

Ashton took my hand, ignoring her.

"Why is she so hung up on you?" I asked, chuckling. "Did you sleep with her?"

We reached the table, Noel and Colin smiling. Evie, on the other hand, gave a blank stare.

Ashton glared, and I took that as my answer.

"We gonna go to Beck's?" Noel asked, standing.

"Who is Beck?" I asked, unsure.

Evie snorted. "Beck's is a pizza place down the street," she said, rolling her eyes. "We go there for lunch instead of the shit they serve here."

I turned to my twin. "Cameron said I couldn't leave the grounds."

He narrowed his eyes. "You're gonna start listening to him now?"

I scoffed. "No, of course not."

"Let's move then," Evie said, "I'm hungry."

She ushered Ash, Noel, and me ahead of her out the side exit of the cafeteria. She cracked a smile, nudging my arm. "I'm happy you're back, Mase," she said as Ash looked his arm around my neck. I opened my mouth, but she held up her hand. "I know you don't wanna be back, but I'm happy to have another girl around."