18

Ashton shut the fridge with his hip, placing leftovers on the counter. Cameron had made spaghetti before his shift. I took the plate he held out and sipped my can of Pepsi.

"Are you sure we won't get caught?" I asked, glancing at him with worry.

"The house is burning to the ground as we speak," he said, a slight smirk on his lips. "No one will know it was us."

"I hope not."

"Hope not what?" Sebastian asked, coming from his bedroom. He pulled a burgundy hoodie over his head, patting Hazel as he walked into the kitchen.

"Ashton said he might fail English class," I said, ignoring the glare I received from my twin.

Sebastian raised an eyebrow, looking at Ash. "Why do you think you'll fail, Ash? Have you been copying Maisie again?"

"Hey! Don't be a jerk," I muttered, slapping Sebastian's stomach.

He gasped. "I'm kidding. Oh God, I'm going to bruise," he mumbled, rubbing his stomach and shooting a playful glare at me.

I shrugged. "Sounds like a you problem."

Ashton chuckled, picking up his plate and taking it to the living room. He collapsed on the couch, flipping through the channels. I stayed at the island, watching Sebastian enter the fridge and take a Gatorade.

"How are your studies?" He asked, leaning against the counter.

"I will be glad when I'm done. I hate school."

"You will ace the test," he assured, smiling. He had more confidence in me than I had in myself.

I glanced down at my plate. At least someone had confidence in me. The school had never been my strong suit. I wanted to pass this, to have at least something under my belt, not to be a total disappointment. "I really hope so."

***

I brushed my hair, wincing as I caught a knot. I yanked until it came out, walking into the kitchen. Cameron sipped coffee, looking up. "Hey, can you hold down the fort for a few hours? I have a shift at 11, but Sebastian will be home at 2."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "Yes, Cam. I can handle myself for a few hours."

He nodded. "Don't burn the apartment down."

"No promises," I said, chuckling.

My older brother stared at me, unamused, before gesturing to the note on the counter. "I made a list of emergency contacts, including dispatch while I'm on call and Sebastian's unit."

I studied the note and my brother's messy scrawl, frowning. "One would think I'm twelve, and you're leaving me home alone for the first time ... what's next? You gonna lecture me about stranger danger and remind me not to leave the stove on?"

"These bastards seem to be lurking around every corner," Cameron said, running a hand through his hair. "I am being proactive ... and I've reminded you at least five times since you've been back check who is at the door before answering. I'm not exactly overreacting."