71

***

"Maisie." Jaime called again. "I know you fucking heard me so come in here, now."

"What crawled up his ass and died?" I muttered, rolling my eyes at Noel. He snorted and glanced over his shoulder.

"You better go."

"Aren't you coming in?"

"I'll be in in a few minutes. I like the fresh air," he said smiling. "Can I kiss you?"

I nodded and leaned forward, our foreheads touching. Noel and I kissed, and I felt big a weird sensation course through my veins, like electricity.
I didn't want to pull away.

"Maisie - get in here. I see you, y'know. Now."

Noel chuckled. "You better go before he kicks my ass." I kissed his cheek and stood. I walked up to my oldest brother, glaring at him. "What? What do you want Jaime?"

My brother smirked. "Food is ready."

I relaxed against the sofa cushions, watching Sebastian and Cameron bicker over the remote. "Give me that," my brother muttered, snatching the remote from his fiancé, shaking his head. "We're not watching Jeopardy."

Sebastian jutted his lip. "You're so mean."

"You're so dramatic." He mocked. I rolled my eyes as Evie came into the living room, holding out her bowl of popcorn. "You should have been an actor, not a nurse."

"You'd miss the fun we have in bed then - shit, ouch, Cameron."

"Keep your mouth shut about that when the kids are around, babe," my brother

"Mase," Evie said, catching my attention, "what are your college plans?"

"There are all kinds of options."

"Everyone keeps saying that. The answer is no," I said, rolling my eyes. "I don't like school. What about you, Ms. Valedictorian?"

"I'm not valedictorian now," she said, a sad expression crossing over her face. "I won't even get to graduate this year, I've missed so many days."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize. It's not your fault."

***

"Fight, fight, fight."

I stumbled backwards, slamming into the cage walls. I had bloodied knuckles and tear stained cheeks. The other girl had a busted lip and a bloody nose.

"Fight, you stupid bitch," Troy shouted from behind me. "Give them what they want!"

I lunged forward with a battle cry, punching the girl in the face - over and over and over again.

I woke up in a sweat, gasping for breath.

Cameron was shirtless and hunched over the counter, one hand over his mouth, sniffling. He was crying.

My big brother was crying.

"Cameron?" I called, quiet as I stepped into the kitchen behind him. He turned and wiped his eyes once more. His shoulders stay hunched, making the chain around his neck dangle.