75

"Cameron, I don't want to go."

"Too bad," he said, walking into the bathroom. "We're leaving in twenty minutes."

Sebastian rolled his eyes, straightening his bow tie. "Don't worry about him, okay?" He said, glancing at me in the mirror. He was dressed in a black dress shirt and slacks, my brother in the same black clothes.

"Why won't you tell me what's happening with ... everything?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. Sebastian rubbed his forehead, above his eyebrow.

"Maisie, let it go." Cameron came out of the bathroom. He glanced at me, before handing Sebastian his phone. He gestured for me to stand. "Do you need help zippering your dress?"

"No, Sebastian did already," I muttered, standing up and gritting my teeth in pain.

"Can I help with your hair?" He asked, softer, but I shook my head. "Maisie, I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?"

"I didn't mean to sound harsh, its just -"

"Are you going to tell me what you're hiding? Why you and everyone else have been acting so shady?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. He closed his eyes for a moment, before shaking his head. "Then I don't want your fucking apology." I pushed by him, wanting to punch something.

"Maisie." He called and I paused, glancing over my shoulder. "I'm doing this to protect you."

I chuckled, not finding one pinch of humour though. "Screw you, Cam. Do you not realize that I've been through enough now? You don't need to keep secrets from me, for fuck sakes. I'll find out, one way or another. You can't protect me anymore, don't you get it? I'm broken now, what will one more thing matter?"

His eyes brimmed with tears. "Maisie, I can't tell you. Not right now, it's complicated and -"

I raised my hand, forcing him to stop talking. "You know what? Save it. I don't fucking care anymore." I started in the direction of my bedroom.

"Maisie, come back here-"

"Fuck you, Cam."

"Don't talk to me like that," he snapped, following me.

"Don't keep secrets from me then," I said, turning to face him again. "Tell me what's going on. Tell me what you're hiding."

My brother swallowed and tilted his head. "I can't Maisie. It's for your own safety that I can't tell you. I will tell you, but not right now."

"You've learned nothing then, have you?" I shook my head and slammed the door in his face.

***

Chance and Jaime were sitting at the head of the table, Noel, Milo, Harley, and Izzy sitting on one side of the long table. They were waiting for us to arrive, already seated, chatting. Cameron sat down at the end beside Eden, leaving two empty seats as Milo and Evie took seats at the end, near Chance. That left two empty seats, one beside Cameron and another beside Evie. I pushed by Sebastian, choosing to sit next to Evie.

I felt Camerons eyes on me, but I kept my gaze down as Sebastian took the seat next to him. No one noticed my obvious effort to not sit beside my brother - or at least they didn't mention it.

I didn't want to come, people were staring at my bruises and bandages. And I was angry with everyone too. We were using this dinner as a symbol of unification, a symbol to say we are back and ready for business. Jaime and Cameron have been going out late, getting up early, and taking calls during the day, leaving the room to talk.