76

"Jules, I don't want to leave you, but I have to stay..."

"You have your family, Maisie. I understand ... I don't want you to stay, but we have to let go at some point y'know... do you hear that?"

Without  any warning, the door flung open, and two figures stood tall, casting  shadows over us. Julian jumped up, grabbing the lampshade to defend us  against whatever barged in.

"Who the hell are you?" Julian snapped as I scrambled up and out of the duvet. The room light flicked on.

"Really?" Harley cackled, storming inside the room. "You're going to fight us with a lampshade?"

He  stood in front of us and I noticed behind him, Noel guarded the door.  Their expressions mirrored something you'd witness in a comedy horror film. 

My cheeks flamed and I grabbed my shirt. "Why are you here, Harley? It's ..." I glanced at the clock. "2 a.m?"

"Get  dressed, Maisie," Harley said, glaring at Julian. When I hesitated, he  focused on me. "Do it, kiddo, I'm not leaving without you and I'll drag  you out if I have to." He reached behind him, under his leather jacket,  not taking his eyes off Julian.

  I sucked in a breath, realizing he was going for his gun. I leaped in  front of him, holding out my arm. "Stop, Calliope is right there," I  stage-whispered, pointing to the other bed. "Go home."

He shook his head and shifted. "Not without you," he said, "get dressed and come with us. Now."

Julian glanced over, raising a brow. "Happy to get you out of the house, huh? Liar." We shared a smile.

"Maisie? Julian?" The soft voice of Calliope made my heart squeeze. "What's going on?"

I  turned and went to her, kneeling down and brushed stray hairs from her  eyes. "I have to go, baby. I loved having this time with you though."  Her eyes brimmed with tears.

"You're not coming with us?" She whispered and I felt Julian move behind us.

"Hurry up, Maisie," Harley said, impatient, but I ignored him.

"I don't want to go without you," she said, sniffling. I bit my lip to keep my own tears from falling. "Please, Mase -"

"I can't, not right now," I mumbled, hoping the two asshats behind me hadn't heard the conversation. "I'll visit, I promise."

"You promise?"

I  stuck out my pinky. Calliope hooked her links around mine and before I knew  it, she wrapped her arms around me, squeezing so I tight I could barely  breath. A hand rested on my shoulder, the only reminder that there  other people in the room.

"I love you, baby," I said, kissing her forehead. I leaned back and her curled into the blankets, hiding her face.

"She'll be okay," Julian murmured, squeezing my shoulder. "I'll protect her, always." I believed him, and that is what gave me the strength not fight  to stay with her.

"I'll miss you," I said, glancing down to hide my quivering chin. I felt his  fingers on my cheek, cupping it and forcing me to look at him.

"I'm going to miss you more, Maisie. I love you," he said, leaning into me, resting his forehead on mine. "You deserve all the love in the world, I know you don't think so, but you do."

"I  love you too, Jules," I whispered and kissed him. I kissed long and  hard, wishing I could be with him longer. "I want to go, but I need to  stay."

"I  know, I know. Seems like you've got another boy in love you anyway," he said, chuckling. I rolled my eyes, pushing him away. Harley cleared his throat and I glared at him.