5

"Maisie."

I pried my eyes open, seeing my older brother. "Cameron?" He sat on the edge of the bed, the dim light of the lamp revealing his tired eyes and dishevelled hair. "What is - fuck," I grumbled, realizing I must have cried out loud enough for my brother to hear.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked.

I blinked away the tears. "He's going to kill me."

"Why do you say that? He can't get to you," he said, searching my eyes for answers. I glanced down at my hands, picking at my thumbnail. "Maisie, you can talk to me."

I shook my head, doubting it. "I'm sorry I woke you," I mumbled, guilt and embarrassment pinching my heart.

Cameron let out a low breath. "You have no reason to apologize. Do you want to talk about your nightmare?"

"No, I'm fine."

"I have a tough time believing that," he murmured, and I clenched my jaw, annoyed he wouldn't let it go.

"I am fine," I repeated. Cameron nodded, standing up. I wanted to tell him that she was there every time I closed my eyes. Our sister, Micaela. Could I tell him? How would he react? He didn't listen to me before. Why would he now?

"Have a good sleep, Mase," he said, waiting a minute before heading towards the door.

"He beat her," I blurted. I glanced up, seeing Cameron stop, turning around. "I have nightmares about her. About him."

My brother returned to the bedside, the bed dipping as he sat again. "I'm so sorry you have nightmares, Maisie. Is there anything I can do to help?"

"I don't know. Probably not," I said, shrugging.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I can't stop thinking about the last time I saw her," I muttered, "She had locked herself in her room. I picked her lock, and - I can still feel the dread in my stomach. He had beaten her worse than ever before. Her face-" I squeezed my eyes shut, the memory seeping through.

I walked into the kitchen, grabbing a soda from the fridge. I popped it open, chugging half of the contents before heading upstairs.

It was quiet, and I figured my sister was napping. Her bedroom door was shut. "Mickey, are you awake?" I called, knocking softly on her wooden door and opening the door to peek inside.

"Micaela? Did you wanna order out for dinner?" I asked, staring at my sister curled up on her bed facing away from me. She groaned but didn't budge. "Micaela."

"What?" She rasped.

"Are you okay?" I asked, walking around her bed and sitting down on the bed. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She didn't bother lifting her head, an arm-wrapped cover in her face.

"You're lying," I said, reaching for her wrist. She pulled away, but I grabbed her wrist away from her face. A gasp left my lips. Micaela's face had bruises and minor cuts all over. My stomach dropped at the sight of my sister beaten and exhausted.

"I could barely recognize her," I cried, and my brother reached for my hands, but I pulled back. "She wouldn't tell me what happened, but something did."

"What the fuck happened? Who did this to you?"

She laughed, pushing me away. "Don't be stupid."

"Tell me what happened." I pressed, staring at my sister. She avoided my eyes. "Please."

"Go away, okay, Mase?" She pleaded, but we both knew I would never do that.