68

"Noel?"

"Hey Princess," he murmured.

"Where have you been?"

"I had some ... things to do in New York." Noel licked his lips. "I'm the one that found Elias."

"What? Why ... why-"

"I wanted revenge. For Ashton. For you. He's the closest person to Troy and Giovanni."

"You could have gotten hurt," I hissed, hitting his shoulder. Noel caught my hand before I could hit him anymore, forcing it down. "You can't do this again, Noel. You can't disappear on me. Promise me."

"I can't do that."

"Promise me." Noel veered sideways, collapsing onto the edge of the bed. "Noel, please. Promise me you won't put yourself in danger like that again."

"Can you promise me the same thing?"

I closed my eyes. "No."

"Then why should I?" Noel asked, tilting his head. "I'll be back in a few minutes. Don't go anywhere."

"Where would I go?" I muttered and pouted when Noel left the room, the door clicking shut behind him.

An hour later, Noel came back into my bedroom with a mischievous grin. He reached out his hand and grasped mine, forcing me out of bed. "Come on, I have a surprise for you."

"Noel, where are you taking me?" I asked, giggling as I  tripped over a rock. I felt his chest vibrate with laughter. "And don't you dare say it's a surprise."

"You'll see." He kept his hands tight over my eyes, refusing to let me peek.

"Jerk."

"Hey now," he said, poking my side, "don't be rude."

I knew we had entered the barn behind the house when the chilly  breeze didn't smother me anymore. I had no idea what he had in mind, but  a tinge of excitement rolled through me. I felt giddy, like a small child.

"Okay, ready?"

"Definitely."

Noel uncovered my eyes and my heart skipped a beat. Soft lights were strung across two large beams, brightening the  otherwise dark barn. On the wall, a white sheet hung on the wall, a  projector sitting in behind the makeshift bed. Popcorn and candy were  set up on a bale of hay, pillows and blankets laid out on the floor.

"This is amazing," I said, giving him a side hug and kissed his cheek. "Thank you, you're very sweet."

He grinned, shrugging. "I know," he said and I rolled my eyes. "I  figured, I never got to take you on a proper date. Things have been ...  chaotic."

"I love it," I said, and kissed his lips. He kissed back with warmth and passion.

"Do you think this is enough blankets?"

"I can go grab some more," I offered and he nodded, gesturing to the projector.

"Okay, I'll get the film set up."

I loved this, the small things.

"Do you like Frankenstein or King Kong more?"

"Are they the 1931 and 1939 versions?"

"Yeah. You know them?" He seemed impressed.

"I love them. They're classics.

Noel passed the blunt to me. "Don't worry," he said, sucking in a breath of air, "I'll take the blame if we get caught."