20

CAMERON'S POV

"Cameron, wake up."

I groaned, burying my head into the pillow. "Go 'way , need five more minutes."

The monster that woke me hit my shoulder. "She's gone. Maisie ran away."

I shot up, forehead smacking a hard surface. "Fuck," I snapped, looking at Ashton. Sebastian rushed around on the other side of the room, mumbling incoherent words. "Cameron, wake up," he shouted, throwing a pair of sweatpants at my head. Jeez, what is their problem this morning?

I gave my boyfriend the stink eye and turned to study my little brother. I noticed his panic-stricken state, which made my heartbeat thud in my ears. I began to comprehend what he said. "What do you mean, ran away? Did you check her room?"

"Yes, of course, I checked her fucking room," my brother snapped.

"Okay," I said, my thoughts jumbled. "Tell Eden to track her phone."

"That's useless. She left her phone here."

I pulled on my sweatpants and the nearest t-shirt. "What about the necklace? Try that," I said, grabbing my phone and wallet from the nightstand. The necklace I had gifted as an early birthday present, did indeed have a tracker.

Ashton shook his head. "Useless. She took it off too."

Dammit, Maisie. I stood, rubbing my eyes. "Fuck sake. What is she thinking?" My ears rang with a humming sound, and Sebastian appeared in front of me, shouldering a backpack. How did he get ready so quickly?

"Cameron, catch up," he mumbled, wiping an eye booger from his face. "We need to find your sister before someone else does."

I rubbed my eyes, pushing down the feeling that a steamroller plowed over me. "Ashton. What did she say? Did you say something to her?"

He scoffed. "No. Did you?"

"No, in fact, we were on good terms. I think." I shook my head. "What even time is it?"

Sebastian checked his watch. "A little past 6 a.m."

"Well, so much for sleeping in on my day off."

***

I slammed the front door, defeated.

"Hey," Eden snapped and narrowed her eyes. "Slam the door one more time, Cameron, and you'll be sleeping outside," she threatened, voice low and cool.

I stopped, glancing down. "I'm sorry, Eddy."

She huffed, looking back at the recipe book. "Go get cleaned up for dinner," she ordered. I nodded, not bothering to argue that I didn't think I could stomach anything right now. One thing I've learned over time, don't argue with Eden. A waste of time, as she always managed to win.

I walked down the hall into Sebastian's and mine room, collapsing on the bed. Why, Maisie, why are you doing this?

Someone stepped in the doorway, casting a shadow over me. I glanced over relief washing over me. "I don't know if I can do this, Seb."

Sebastian closed the gap between us in just a few strides. "Cam, babe, it's not over," he murmured, "it's been what, eighteen hours? She hasn't gotten far."

"What if someone finds her and hurts her? I need to keep looking," I said, standing. Sebastian gripped my shoulders, pushing me back down.