The Fourth Dimension

Sienna's POV

I knew the second he realized it. 
His hands trembled, the slightest bit. Whether it was from finally smelling his mate and committing it to memory, or realizing that he was such a fool, they trembled.
But to his credit, he didn't let me go.
Cole didn't utter a word.

He just took deep, steamy breaths, as if trying to relish the moment, remember the subtle nuances that the bond offered him.

And I let a small tear escape, a mixture of relief and anxiety - for what was finally over and what was to come.

His hands which were unsure for a second, were now firmly planted on my waist. And then slowly as ever, perhaps to prepare himself or perhaps to give me time, he spun me around to face him.
My eyes fluttered shut. I could not look at him. What would I see? Betrayal? Hurt? Anguish? What had I caused my mate?

I knew even then, that I would not have changed my actions.

"Sienna, look at me." Cole didn't sound angry. He sounded ... gentle.
"Sienna?" He asked again, not taking his hands off my waist.
With what little strength I could muster, I shook my head.
I did not want to be scolded right now. I wanted to disappear. Or start over.

Or run away.

"Well, two can play this game," He said, his voice sounded a little breathy. I felt movement as he spun us around so that I was no longer under the hot spray. We stayed like that for a quiet moment.
I tried to understand the meaning behind his words. Was he giving me the silent treatment as well?

And then it hit me. Realization and bliss - both together.

Wafts of something beautiful, intoxicating.
Of course! He was wearing the sealer too! It was what made it easy for me to not jump his bones every given second.
I saw what he did there, moving under the spray.
My eyes widened in alarm at the overwhelming feeling and Cole had achieved his goal. He was luring me!
Sly Enforcer.

I saw the murky depths. Water dripped down his face but he didn't break eye contact. I was mesmerized, unable to look away now that I had. Trapped.

So many emotions running through him, but the one running point was surprising - contentment. I didn't bother processing my emotions, unlike Cole's, they weren't well laid out. They were messy and came back to me in waves, over days.
Cole was an open book, his emotions on display. He let himself be vulnerable and for the first time I thought,

Maybe there is more bravery in being vulnerable.

He didn't hide his hurt, nor his anger. I could see his expression changing as he continued looking at me, unwilling to blink.

Pain. Confusion. Disbelief. Satisfaction. Alleviation. Anger. Happiness.
Love.
How could he show me so much in a matter of seconds? Was this the mate bond? It let me feel what he felt so easily.

"How can you be SO stupid?" He whispered, not the least bit concerned that there was still water hitting his back.

I didn't have an answer yet. I knew he was simmering under the surface.

"How can you even think that hiding this was a good idea?" He continued, his voice rising slightly.

I was mesmerized, by his smell, his eyes, the way the wet clothes stuck to him like second skin. I could see his muscles underneath. How had I gone so long without seeing him shirtless?

"Sienna, I'm talking to you." He shook me the slightest bit, but my addled mind - from both exposure to the drug, and Cole - was not performing at its best.