Precipice

Sienna's POV

"Don't think about running." He swore as I dashed to the kitchen, moving behind the island counter, hoping to circle my way around the counter and get out of the house.

Cole ran behind me, his body barely breaking a sweat as he caught up to me. We were tense, standing and watching each other. In front of me, the pesto sauce was boiling, and I knew that it was about to burn but it wouldn't give me enough smoke to disappear into.

A million scenarios ran through my head - beginning with the biggest question - how much did he know?

There was a single outcome - run away. Don't get marked and run away.

"There's no point in trying to run." he warned, hovering closer to the island now. I was at the tip of my toes - ready to run in whichever direction he wasn't going to come from. A fight would most likely lead to my own demise - I had basic training and in a battle skill and technique were way more important than brute force. He would beat me outright. Not that he would harm a hair on my head if I was his mate - but the idea of his mate running away might make him hold me against my will. Maybe. I didn't know how enforcers worked and I sure as shit was not going to stick around to find out.

Escape!

"I don't know who you think you are, you need to get out of my house before I call the cops!"

"I think you know exactly who I am, Sienna." His voice was strong, cutting through my bullshit act.

Assert!

"I don't think so - I'm going to scream." I told him, my voice wavering at the possibility of being cornered.

How stupid had I been to drop the charger! Did he speak to Reece and therefore find out?

"You know that I'll get to you before you take a deep breath. I don't want to hurt you." He told me, camly. His stance had since switched - relaxing as he saw that I wasn't really moving anywhere and he was watching my body like a hawk. It was a weird combination, the eased alertness that he held, like he could be standing there talking about grapes but could also pounce the second I bolted.

Deny

"I - I don't know-"

"And you know that your human reflexes will not be enough to get you out of this." He interrupted me and I was stupefied.

Human?

"What?"

"Are we really going to play this game, Sienna? I'm coming clean about this." He told me, his voice sounding almost...bored. I had to laugh at his audacity.

Extract.

"What are you coming clean about?"

"For one thing - I said the word werewolf and you bolted - for another, you didn't show any surprise at the word werewolf to begin with. I think we're past the pleasantries at this point."

"You call this pleasantries?" I couldn't keep the incredulity out of my voice as I realized that playing the ignorant card wasn't going to work. Cole let out a snort as if he meant to say, 'you wouldn't believe the conversations I've had that have been like this.'

The pesto was still bubbling.

"Allow me," He said, as he stepped around the counter from the right, and I automatically moved left. We switched places, slowly and cautiously before he was the one in the backed up space of the kitchen while I had direct access to the living room and therefore the door.