Infiltration

Sienna's POV

I should have fucking shifted!

Should I? Is it too late?

I took a deep breath, inhaling the scent. Blood mixed with human and werewolf smells. It wasn't a rogue, the werewolf odour wasn't marred with a foul stench.

I could hear everyone coming towards me, towards the sound of her screams. She lay at my feet, clutching her middle in agony. I gave her a forlorn look. There wasn't anything I could do at this point. To be bitten by a werewolf, if you weren't being marked - that was death for humans.

She was beyond reason, I knew there was no point talking to her. The poison that ran in our body was flowing through her bloodstream, slowly corroding everything within. I willed myself to not cry at the wasted life. A precious life.

I didn't know who she was, I'd seen her at the party but hadn't met her. She was wearing a t-shirt that had the words 'University of Geone,' so I knew that she was a student here.

"What was tha-AAAHH!" Some random students came behind me and I turned to face them. My face didn't need any morphing, I was angry and upset and it showed.

"Somebody call Sheriff Radley!" I heard Kyle's voice come through as he cut ahead of the crowd. We were all surrounding her.

Zia jumped forward, immediately taking off her cardigan and pressing it against the large bite wounds on her stomach. She was trying to ebb the bleeding.

Kyle sat besides her and put his hand on the girl's head, trying to comfort her. "Give her some space to breathe!" Zia shouted, and made some of them back away a little. I could tell that Zia knew who she was, maybe they were friends.

Drew and Lei were standing by my side. Lei knew who she was, and had fished out her phone and called the local sheriff.

Someone else came forward - a red freckled boy with glasses. He was frozen in shock. He kept uttering her name and crying and telling her that it was okay and Kyle let him comfort her. My heart broke at their attempts. Even if the bleeding stopped, and the wound wasn't that deep, there wasn't anything they could do about the werewolf saliva that was like poison running through her veins.

I wanted to bend down and help, years of medical training at the palace and I knew exactly how to treat a werewolf bite.

But on a human? I didn't have the heart to tell them that there was no point. Their hope was not mine to take away.

Instead, I watched her for any signs. The bite mark - clean. This was no rogue. They generally had broken teeth and an inconsistent jawline. The smell was another hint.

This was a planned attack. Maybe the victim was random but the fact that it came here, bit someone, and then ran off indicated that it wasn't an out of control werewolf.

Who could orchestrate such a thing? And why hurt a human? They were not even a part of this fight! The Lake was close to the Deta-Pritt boundary. Could someone from Jolee's pack have come over? But what purpose would that serve?

"No she's bleeding. It- it looks like an animal bite. I don't know it doesn't seem that deep, she's not even bleeding as much, but she won't wake up or respond to us!" Lei kept an open communication line with the Sheriff. I could hear him barking instructions and asking for our location. He seemed like a reasonable man. I didn't know if he was a werewolf, but if he was then he would know what to do when he got here.

"Sienna, you okay? Did you see anyone?!" Drew asked me, all his inebriation gone, just like the party's aura.

I shook my head, sounding collected but grim, "No, I heard the scream and I thought I saw something run away, but it was too fast for me to chase." My fist clenched at that. Maybe I could have gotten to the werewolf, and killed them if I could expose myself. But I knew nothing about the surroundings. What if he/she had more wolves along with it? What if someone saw me? What if someone caught my scent? The sealer wouldn't work once I shifted.