Electricity is the New Fuel

Sienna's POV

I couldn't help the rise in my heart beat, while Hugo's was as calm as an undisturbed lake. Pritt knew something was up - I gave it away and she stopped for a second, "Is everything alright dear?"

I turned my phone - screen downwards - snoozing it as I did. "Of course, I just saw the grade for my midterm and yikes it was not so good." I lied. Did she buy it?

I wasn't sure. Hugo looked indifferent, not giving away anything - his approval or disapproval of my lie. Unlike me, he actually excused himself, and walked a little away from the gazebo. Pritt paid no heed to his actions - treating him only like the chaperone he was and smiled at me, "Oh don't worry! I know a lot has happened this month - your grades will be up soon."

"Everything looks delicious!" I said, trying to shift the focus away from me and back to the food. Pritt took the bait, talking about the chefs they had for the mayoral office and staff. It certainly felt like a big deal for a small town mayor, but I didn't say anything about that.

Hugo joined us in a short bit, he mainly texted back and forth - I could hear it - but he was careful not to answer any phone call within hearing distance of two werewolves. His expression, once again, gave nothing away, but when he met my eyes he showed the slightest hint of terror, and I knew that Cole was going to have hell for us when we got out of here.

"Ah! Hugo, try some of this spinach quiche! It's a recent addition to our menu." She said, serving him some from the central platter. Hugo mumbled a 'thank you' but then did eat plenty. I suppose he had been hungry? What did they do about food? Did they order food from out all the time? What about the other men? Did the castle pay for them? I guess I never bothered to find out. I should try to be more accommodating of everyone out there, trying to protect Zia and I.

We ate in silence for a short while - talking mostly of the weather, my life in Geone, what I wanted to study and so on. Hugo was mostly quiet, occasionally giving me a stink eye if I was too chatty - but I was just trying to play a part.

At precisely my calculated time, I said, "I will excuse myself, I need to use the ladies room." Hugo's eyes were wide saucers. He was obviously beyond pissed at my request.

Would he follow me? I hoped not. That was giving me too much importance in Pritt's eyes. And would he want to leave Pritt alone? What if she had a scheme in place that he wouldn't have a warning about? Who could be our best hostage should I be captured? Probably not. It had to work according to my plan.

He was glaring at me, while Pritt, oblivious to his calm rage, chatted away, "Oh! I could show you the way if you'd like! Or call Sayyid here to help you?"

"Ah! That is really not necessary, just directions would be fine." I told her, much to his horror.

"Ah, okay. You should just go down the hall, to the left from the main entrance. Just ask someone there and they can help you with it."

"Alright, thank you!" I said before there was any other word from either person.

I walked away, feeling his stare on my back while Pritt tried to have a small conversation with Hugo. I also thought it was a good opportunity for the two of them to talk alone - werewolf to werewolf. I'm sure he had some threats and warnings to give out on behalf of Cole.

I decided to go ahead with my main plan.

Ten minutes later, and I was back. "I got lost," I admitted sheepishly, trying my best to relax the heart rate that I had. Hugo was nearly red, probably from the waiting. He was clearly not a patient person.

"Ah! Sienna! I told you someone should have escorted you - the building is like a maze."

"Yes, Sienna. You should have taken someone with you." Hugo mumbled, if looks could kill, I would be six feet under right now.