Nautical Lore

Sienna's POV

"I'm going to put out the fire and be back." Cole told me as I was settling into Drew's sleeping bag.

I gave him a curt nod, and then turned away and shut my eyes, trying to get my heart rate to slow down.

If he could just return after I fell asleep, maybe I could last the sexual tension that was plaguing my mind and my body.

I could hear him in the silence of the night - a splash of water and the fire was doused. His footsteps were making their way back from the smoking pile of wood as his phone rang.

Cole stopped, and then answered the call.

"Alpha." He greeted, and liquid fear pooled into my veins. His words were barely a whisper and I had to move closer to the tent door to be able to hear him.

"Cole! I just got the notice of your leave." Reece's tone was worried, "Is everything okay at home?"

"Ah, yes. I wanted to drop by and tell you but you were busy in a briefing." Cole said, and Reece sighed.

"You know you can always disturb me Cole, my closest friends always can."

"Of course, Alpha." Cole said, dutifully and Reece laughed.

"Can you, please call me Reece. Honestly, you're not even on duty, relax a little."

At this, Cole let out a soft chuckle. I wish I could see his face - his smile was so-

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Stop thinking about him like that! He's not yours!

Or, he is but you don't want to be his!

"Yes, Reece. Nothing's wrong - I, I just found my mate." Adrenaline pumped through me as I contemplated what to do.

"What?! Oh my! Congratulations! Where? When? Why haven't you marked her yet?"

"Ah it's a little complicated -"

I zipped the tent open and Cole stopped talking. He raised an eyebrow at me and I shrugged, pointing to the woods. I didn't want my voice to get through to Reece. I knew Cole wouldn't let me go anywhere alone and it worked.

"Actually, Reece - I'm going to call you back." He told me and he cut the call and followed right behind me. My heartbeat lowered. That was a close call, but I had to get out of here within a day or two - Reece wouldn't forget for long.

It was going to be hard to get away with Cole breathing down my neck and following me everywhere though. I frowned, I had falsely believed that he'd left me and gone for good. Maybe he wasn't as power hungry as most of the alpha men I knew.

That was not going to be good for me.

"Where are you headed in the middle of the night?" Cole asked as he stepped beside me.

"I think I left my power bank in my car - my phone is about to switch off." I told him, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Oh, alright I'll come with you."

"That's okay, the woods don't scare me." I told him and he gave me a rueful smile, "Yeah, but being alone in that tent scares me." He quipped. I let out a laugh despite my attempts to be a cold hearted bitch.

Cole gave me a sweet smile, one of those, 'I think you're pretty when you laugh,' kind of smile and I felt heat rise to my cheeks. I needed to do something to piss him off.

My phone buzzed once more and I looked at the screen - it was a text from Reece. I made sure to turn it away from Cole in case he decided to peak at the contact. Any slip-up could reveal my secret.