Energy Transformation

Cole's POV

How can you want to push someone off a cliff, and then run down and catch them at the same time? She really did test me - of that I was sure.

I resisted the urge to smack my own forehead. A Tesla. Damn.

"Before you say anything, please don't blame Hugo - I basically blackmailed him into doing this." She said, and my heart warmed a bit. She was going to be a responsible leader. Not that she would ever lead werewolves.

I gave her a lazy roll of my eyes, "I know. Hugo already texted me that this was all your idea." Her expression turned into one of horror, and I laughed a little at how cute she looked about the mini betrayal.

"Don't look mad, didn't he just tell me the truth?"

"Well, yes. But I was expecting him to be the bigger person."

"We both know that even if he said that, I'd never believe him. You're the true troublemaker here."

"Hey!" She protested but the words died down when I stepped closer to her. Did I seem like a threat to her? Or was I a turn-on? I could tell her heartbeat was rising but not why.

That was important. I replayed the conversation she had with Hugo in my head. I was so glad he let the mindlink be open. I needed all the help I could get with this one.

I really hoped that she believed him, because it was important to me that she trusted me. Sure I could use handcuffs and body-block her for important conversations but I would never attack her like that.

"I had a good reason to go, okay? Pritt seemed to be threatening that girl!" She protested, crossing her hands in front of her chest and looking adorably defiant.

"I heard," I told her, my voice calm despite my inner turmoil. I wish she wouldn't put herself in danger.

"But, you could have waited a day and let me take you." I told her and she let out a snort, "You'd never have let me go."

"But I'd let you come!" I countered. Of course I'd never let her go alone - but she was safest with me - and that wasn't even an exaggeration. She looked at me in disbelief, before going around me to the kitchen. I followed her silently, my years of training making my steps feather light - while she stomped.

How was she ever going to handle herself had there been an attack - my blood simmered. "You'd let me come?" She was angry now, but she filled a glass of water and took a sip - perhaps to help her nerves.

"Yes, we could have gone together - along with the four guards I have on you!"

"Oh, just four? That's really low, even for you." She shot back and I tried to think this through.

"It'll certainly increase now - maybe to at least seven. And I don't think I'm going to be travelling anywhere yet."

"Well you go right ahead."

"I wish you'd be more careful about your life." I tried not to smolder.

"I wish you'd stop being so protective all the time!"

"Your life is literally in danger. You think I enjoy playing the possessive boyfriend? But at this point you're just being plain irresponsible. Tell me, if you'd gone tomorrow with me, what difference would that have made?!" I walked closer and she glared at me.

"Because I didn't think you'd let me go! Besides, if I took such a big army with me, wouldn't that throw unnecessary light on me? We don't want people to know that we're mates!"

"You don't want that! I want that very much." I corrected her and she almost seemed bashful.

I took another step forward, but she stood her ground - exciting.