Salad Fork

Sienna's POV

"And that's why you always want your employees to be scenario A and not B." She finished, and I nodded in agreement. Everything was so much clearer now. We'd moved to the non-silent section of the library so that we could openly discuss my doubts.

I found out Leilani was in the same year as I was, but she'd been at this university since the beginning of her degree, while I had joined two days ago.

"Wow, this makes so much more sense now." I smiled at her, genuine gratitude flowing out of me. She made a motion to shut her books, and without control, the words were out of my mouth.

"Let me thank you for this, I could buy you ice cream, or frozen yogurt." I offered, already deciding to not take a no for an answer. Kind people deserved to be celebrated. Her mouth formed a small 'o' before she wiped the surprised look off her face and gave me a sheepish smile.

"I'm sorry, I made plans with my boyfriend for ice cream after we finished studying." She said and I nodded.

"Oh, of course - no worries." I told her and she shook her head immediately. "You could join us if you'd like!"

"Umm, no I wouldn't want to intrude.."

"No! I insist." She said again, her voice breezy.

I debated what to do when she spoke again, "You'll anyway meet him sooner or later because you'll sit with us during lunch now!"

"I will?" I wasn't against the idea if everyone else was just like her.

"Sure you will, we have some differences in timetable but for the most part everyone sits together and eats lunch!"

My phone beeped and Leilani began to pack her books as I checked the message. It was Reece.

Need to brief you about some official work in Geone. Call me when you get the chance.

I sighed, rolling my eyes and then frowning at her. "I'm sorry, Leilani. It seems that some work has come up and I need to get home."

Leilani smiled her pretty smile, and made a breezy gesture with her hand, "Oh, no worries. But, how about I get your phone number so it's just easier?" She asked me and I nodded.

We got out of the library, and as she walked away from me, she called out over her shoulder, "And call me Lei! Leilani is just a mouthful."

My first friend. I stood there for a while, watching her turn the corner, and somehow I felt like this was going to open a whole lot of doors in my social life. Maybe normal wasn't as far fetched a dream as I had pegged it to be. Did I want this enough to try risking it? I'd have to decide soon, before I got too attached.

"Wait- that's not the right way!"

"I can only see myself."

"What does this button do?"

I waited patiently as my parents fumbled with the video calling app on their phone. This distance meant that pack link wouldn't work for us. They had to learn to call me like normal parents, called their normal children. It warmed me to hear them banter about the orientation of the phone.

I didn't have the heart to tell them that the camera was facing the other way, and I could only see the large ottoman on my TV screen.

"What are you guys doing? Really, mom? You're trying to take a picture of the screen?" Reece adjusted the camera so that everyone could see everyone and everyone could hear everyone before they realized that I could listen to everything they had been saying.