That Inappropriate Feeling

Sienna's POV

"So, you're telling me that it's Charles' goons who are after me?" Zia was never going to buy our poorly crafted lies.

"We think that, but we're not a hundred percent sure." April supplied. She had been playing weak all evening. It was late night now, and her hand was still on her stomach. She would occasionally ask people to bring her water, or her phone, or a snack.

"But who hurt you?" Zia asked and I closed my eyes in exasperation.

"I don't know that, and for the record, I think they were out to hurt you." She answered. Cole and Hugo were not back yet - where they had disappeared off to, was a mystery to me. Not that I would ask.

"So what were you doing there?" Zia fired her next question. I was sitting on the couch along with April, while Zia was wandering.

"I told you, I was on duty." She evaded.

"And you're Cole's sister?"

"Yes. I'm a detective."

"A detective? Why did you ask me to get Cole and not go to the cops?"

Shit, do we have an answer for this?

"We're investigating the mayor." April's lies were smooth. Maybe because she had all day to cook them up.

"Jolee Pritt?"

"Yes, she's been on our radar for a bit. I'm not authorized to tell you the nature of the investigation, but just that we can't trust anyone yet, not even the head of the local police department."

Wow, that was well thought out. Politics.

"Okay, but why me?"

"We're not sure, but we would like for you to stay within our protection for a while, if that's okay."

Zia turned to look at me,"Our?"

I shrugged at her.

"It's just Hugo, Cole and me for now. But more people will be coming if the situation escalates." April answered her.

"So when you said you were on duty, you were on duty watching me?" Her words were heavy but April nodded. "It saved your life, didn't it?"

She was quiet for a moment as she strutted around. And then she sank into the couch herself, sitting next to me. Her breathing was anxious and uneven.

"So you can't tell me what's going on, but you want to keep me under protection. The only thing I do know is that it's about the mayor, and maybe her son, and somehow we're in the middle of it? Sienna and/or I?"

"That just about sums it up." April lacked people skills. I moved, putting my hand on Zia's and she looked at me, her eyes wide.

"Don't worry, Zia. Everything will be okay. They will keep us safe." At this, April raised an eyebrow as if to say, 'Now you see what we've been trying?'

"It's not that I don't trust you. After last night, I mean, I'd be a fool not to." Zia murmured and I waited for her to tell us what was really bothering her.

"But..." April was impatient. I gave her a warning look, Zia's heartbeat was quick and uneasy. I didn't want her to panic.

"Well, wouldn't it be easier to just leave the city for a bit? Safer?" She asked and I looked at April like I'd won the lottery.

"It might, but we don't know if the threat will follow you or not. Both of you are safest with us, wherever we are." She supplied.

I sank back into the couch. I knew she was right.