ARC 2 || 017 - Partners In Crime

Most of the original chapters before rewriting of later chapters in arc 2 + arc 3 are only 800 or more words. I can't add too much, or it'll mess up parts of the story, so this chapter is only around 900 words long :(

Because it's so short, I updated early.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unedited

........

"My lady, Meng Shaoxing has returned." A servant bowed to a delicate, beautiful girl sitting on the sheets of her bed, in deep thought.

The girl nodded, "Do you have any information on Young Lord Hideaki, or perhaps... Akira?" She asked, raising her head to give a threatening smile to the servant, who kept their deep bow. The servant was sweating bullets, their hands clammy.

"Unfortunately..." The servant started, "we have not."

The girl's smile instantly turned into a frown. Infuriated, she clenched her fists, shouting, "How incapable! I gave you a chance, but you still fail me? Are you going against me?"

The servant hurriedly kneeled, "I wouldn't dare, I wouldn't dare!" He really wouldn't dare. He was strictly under orders from his master to obey Mei Yonagi's words. If she went left, he would never go right.

Speaking of which, a boy with golden hair and silver eyes entered the room. He wore a long, graceful white and gold robe. A small smile on his lips, he gave the girl a lazy glance.

His silver eyes shifted to pure gold, matching the color of his hair.

"Yonagi, ah, why're you bullying my servants? Be a little nicer, we're working together, after all." He said.

Mei Yonagi closed her eyes, letting out a small huff of anger, before dismissing the servant boy.

"Meng Shaoxing, I know that look on your face." Her eyes fluttered open, "You've found a new chess piece?"

Meng Shaoxing laughed happily. "You know me so well. It's Shizuki of the Empire of Yevaria, first apprentice of physician Fuyu." He said.

Mei Yonagi, "How do you know he can be trusted?"

Meng Shaoxing sighed, "Our goals benefit each other largely, I'm sure that Shizuki wouldn't pass on such an opportunity." His eyes narrowed, "As for the specifics... I believe you aren't worthy to hear of them."

Mei scowled from Meng Shaoxing's mocking words, but she didn't argue. She knew that the other wouldn't tell her even if she talked back.

Mei stood up. "When will you tell him of this place?" She said.

"Ah, well, he hasn't accepted my proposal yet." Meng Shaoxing said, "I don't have the time to personally go and convince him to accept."

Mei hmphed, "Have you forgotten? I have the contacts available to blackmail him into accepting. Although Sakura is behind iron bars right now, I still have other people I can get information from."

Meng Shaoxing shook his head. "No, I have to gain his trust first. He might go behind my back and betray me." He smiled, shaking his head, "I know much more about the personalities of his bloodline than you do, Mei Yonagi."

"Whatever!" She shouted, already on her feet and leaving, "Since you refuse my help, don't come crying back to me when your plan fails."

Meng Shaoxing laughed, "Hahahaha! Good luck with that, then!"

Mei angrily stomped away, gritting her teeth as she made her way down a dark hallway. Her hands were balled up into fists, tightly clenching the hem of her dress.

"Yamato Akira, I won't let you live in peace so easily." She cursed the boy a hundred times over, before finally, she halted in the middle of the hall.

Mei Yonagi smirked, her fingers tapping her chin, "That's right... since everything is suddenly so calm, perhaps Yamato Akira will get too used to it?" She slowly thought, her gaze turning to stare out the window at the side of the hall.

If I start a war, would he be prepared?

Perhaps he would be prepared.

Yamato stared out the window in the guest room of the Hideaki Manor, and then back to two small pieces of paper.

He was sitting on his bed as he wrote a letter. "Kenata.."

He stopped writing for a moment. "A renowned necromancer, hmm? He wants to help me?"

His grip tightened on the feathered pen in his hand. One of the two pieces of paper was the letter that Kenata had sent him the day before, and of course, matching the boy's style, it was written in a cryptic way.

When danger falls upon you, I will be here. I know things that you don't, Akira.

So, as a precaution, won't you accept my help? Although things may seem normal now, it won't be true in the near future.

Every time Yamato read one of his letters, he almost always frowned. He was still a bit wary to trust Kenata, so it was difficult for him to believe his words. The information that Kenata had sent him previously, he confirmed the rumors with Yuna, who was specially attentive in rumors that circulated around.

It was unfortunate for him that this time, he was unable to confirm with Yuna without revealing important information.

Yes, the thought of asking Akagi or Hasegawa had crossed his mind, but he was still hesitant.

For now, Yamato only focused on writing back to Young Lord Kenata.

"If I could punch that damn Kenata in the head when he talks in riddles, I would've done it long ago," He angrily muttered as he wrote the letter...

---

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting. It helps a lot! ╰(*°▽°*)╯